What's new

Little Asian Boy

KruuWMc

Registered
10 Feb 2018
I have a metal statue of a young Asian boy that has some characters on the back. I don't know if the characters are Chinese or Japanese. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what the characters mean. I have posted a photo. This statue means a lot to my wife and I. Please help.

Attachments

• Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 294
治一作
Jiichi saku
Made by Jiichi

Your statue is the one in the picture, right? Jiichi is the artist's given name. His full name is 米治一 Kome Jiichi, and the title of the statue is 無我童子 Mugadōji (meaning "child in the state of no-self").
mugadoji.jpg

You are exactly correct. This statue is the same as the one we have. Thank You so much. Mugadōji (meaning "child in the state of no-self"). Would this mean he is an orphan? Or could it be a Buddhist concept that one has no attachment to things?

The latter is closer. Child is a symbol of the ultimate state "enlightenment" in Buddhism there.

We love this statue because it looks exactly like our grandson. The similarity is uncanny. This boy loves statues of the Buddha. He loves to visit Temples. His attraction to things Buddhist is not something we taught him about. It comes from within him. As if he experienced it before. Once again "Thank You!" for pointing us in the right direction. We are forever grateful.

The paintings of Yokoyama Taikan are excellent. Thank You for posting the trilogy. One thing most noticeable is that Kome Jiichi created a different face with a different expression. We love it. We also appreciate the concept of a child as a symbol of "enlightenment". When our grandson comes to see Jiichi's creation he lightly touches it in the front and the back with four fingers. This is his way of showing respect. Once again we sincerely appreciate all your help. May you have Long Life, Good Health and Happiness.

Back
Top Bottom