What's new

Last day at work

lineartube

free spirit
Ratings
Today is my last day at work. Well... goodbye 17 months. 9 months was as a outsourced consultor but I leave good friends behind....

Work is done so I'm just waiting for the close of business. It's sad but... life goes on. Anyway, I'll probably be back next week for a farewell lunch/dinner.

Nervous and waiting, waiting, waiting....

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Ratings
1 762
A new day, a new chance.

I hope you manage to find another position soon. I think it's still easy to find jobs in the IT field. Well, at least easier than other sectors. Tell me about job hunting, sigh...

lineartube

free spirit
Ratings
yeah... if you are a programmer, and even that....

A ex-girlfriend just graduated in applied maths to computation and she got her first work. It gets her 竄ャ500 a month. Almost minimal wage....
There's a lot of skilled people out there so employers tend to abuse them.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Ratings
1 762
Also, a university degree is no safe ticket for a job anymore. Yep, programmer... if I had only known that ten years ago, lol.

lineartube

free spirit
Ratings
I started as a programmer. My internship was a junior programmer at a local research company and I did logical filters in... STAR? yes, I think that was it. Oh, and the OS was VAX-VMS.
I loved it so much that 2 months later I started as a Junior Webdesigner/Jack-of-all-IT-trades at a national representation of a multinational webportal.

I loved it so much that I never changed or will change from Web and GUI design. I love it. And as soon as I have some cash, I'll get some of the certification that I was supposed to get in my last job (grrr....).

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Ratings
1 762
Which programming languages are you fluent in?

[Just in case I might need some PHP support, lolol!]

lineartube

free spirit
Ratings
Hehehe... guess what? I still have to go to work next monday since they still have web projects running and (shocker) the client hasn't closed out the contents and they haven't anyone else that can pickup the stuff and make it web ready. Since I'm still on the payroll... :p

Hmm... programming languages? I've programmed in STAR, ASP, PHP, CFML, VB, SQL, Javascript, Perl, C++, and Embbeded C++, and more recently HTML, XHTML and CSS but I'm an expert at neither. I haven't really coded for a living for aroud 2 and a half years.

Recently I only messed professionally in ASP, DHTML and CSS. As a hobby I've been dabbling with XHTML+CSS with PHP on the side. I have a pet project growing here.

For the past 2 years I developed my skills in layout design, gridding, typography, graphic and Gui design, colour theory, information architecture, usability, cross-browsing testing and.... my memory is failing.

Oh... I've created the first Portuguese PDA-based db-driven website... in english (crazy CEO... don't ask).

So.... i'm a webdesigner, innovator and entrepeneur to the core. :D

Ratings
Looking forward to what the rest is gonna look like.

Myself I'm pretty fluent in html and layout.
I can barely hack perl and php is even worse. At least I know that I'm looking at soemthing that is over my head.

I heard that webobjects programming is good pay and that the community tries to keep each other employed, well, at least by informing others about jobs and what not.

good luck with finding a new job!

lineartube

free spirit
Ratings
Yeah... networking. I may not get a job thanks to it. If everything goes well I might survive with a few costumers and some business partners.

Let's hope that today is the day. I'm having this weird feeling that I won't get out of here before the end of the month.

As for " the community tries to keep each other employed, well, at least by informing others about jobs", I think thats relative to the work market available. From my experience is usually every men/women for itself, wich is kind of sad.

I've tried to start here in Portugal some sort of association for webdevelopers (webdesigners/webmasters/programmers/so on) and everyone applauded my efforts but when it was time to help me with it a huge silent would generally be my answer.

I also run a portuguese-speaking-only forum for webdesigners in http:///meltingpot.luisrebelo.net for about....2 years or so.

Ratings
lineartube

I have been trained at a leading American technical arts school in the field of Multimedia and Web Design. My coursework was primarily surrounding the utilization of Macromedia and Adobe products, but I do have a working knowledge of HTML, DHTML, XHTML, Perl, C++ and JavaScript.

My intention was to create Multimedia Web projects like the ones created by Kodaiji as linked on:

http://forum.japanreference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=981

The only reason I mention this is to empathize with you that our field of expertise is in a slump globally. It's easier for me to find work assisting those interested in meditation, more than it is to find a simple job developing and maintaining a website. Sarcastically... I can only thank the good people at Macromedia for inventing DreamWeaver for this.

Hang in there my friend! The time will come when we are as needed as we had been. Till then... take up some other livelihood. I now work with people with developmental disabilities. It's low pay, but incredibly rewarding.

lineartube

free spirit
Ratings
Thanks Kakuzen,

I'm just going to sit back a couple of days and finishing curing a flue that has been hanging around me lately.

I already have some freelance projects lined up and I'm also doing some consulting for a image management company. This last one is a freebie but it will allow me to get more connected. Jeezz... sometimes I feel that I entered the mafia, or a bad remake of the godfather. everyone has a cousin/friend/nephew/laundry lady that CAN DO the job... :D

Ratings
I've offered many Japanese friends to do sites for them for free. Hell, I wanted the experience. They too said I have a friend of a friend of friend's girlfriend who can do it.

I told em all to do it that way then ....
hehe, they got charged in the end and ended up giving up on their sites since they were just too limited and too difficult to maintain.

hehe, friends ...