What's new

Lagrange Point

Astralogic

先輩
10 Aug 2014
Hello, I'm back after a hiatus with a new game to translate called Lagrange Point.

Here is the back cover:

Box Back.jpg

戦いの中で繰り返される出会いと別れ冒険は、少年を大人に変えてゆく
"An adventure full of encounters and battles that will change the boy into a man."

How is that translation? This (I think) is one of those sentences where you have to try to make up something that sounds similar, because I couldn't translate solely using the words in the Japanese sentence. I had to leave out 別れ and 戦いの中で since I just couldn't fit all the words in without it sounding strange.

You're quite close - the main mistake is that the two lines should be read as separate sentences, not as one. The translation should become easier as a result.

I'm really finding this impossible, let me make sure I understand each part correctly.

戦いの中で
during/amidst battle(s)

繰り返される出会いと別れ
repeatedly encountering and parting

繰り返される出会いと別れ冒険
an adventure of repeatedly encountering and parting

戦いの中で繰り返される出会いと別れ冒険
an adventure of repeatedly encountering and parting during battle

戦いの中で繰り返される出会いと別れ冒険は、少年を大人に変えてゆく
an adventure of repeatedly encountering and parting during battle will turn the boy into a man.

That final rather verbose sentence is all I can come up with I'm afraid. I don't know to divide it into two.

As it is, as lanthas-san pointed out.

戦いの中で繰り返される出会いと別れ(a noun phrase)
and
冒険は、少年を大人に変えてゆく(a sentence)

hint:
出会い and 別れ are both nouns.

So as a noun phrase, 戦いの中で繰り返される出会いと別れ would be "repeated encounters and partings in battle"?

I see, I didn't realize the sentence would be split down the middle, it was simpler then I thought :)

So we have "Repeated encounters and partings in battle. An adventure that will turn the boy into a man."

I'd move right on to the next sentence but I'm too tired right now.

The second line is a sentence, as I wrote, whereas your translation "An adventure that will turn the boy into a man" is a noun phrase.

Thank you for the help.

Now on to the next sentence.

22世紀。スペースコロニー「イシス」で、生物災害"バイオハザード"発生。
"It's the 22nd century. There has been a bio-hazardous outbreak on the space colony Isis."

How is that? Once again, with 生物災害"バイオハザード発生, I'm having trouble fitting each of the words in. In my mind a 生物災害 actually is a バイオハザード so I don't feel the need to include them both.

Yes, 生物災害 and バイオハザード are in apposition there.
発生 is a noun, but the stem of a -suru verb works like a verb often in an explanation or caption, i.e., it actually means 生物災害"バイオハザード"が発生した a bio-hazard happened.

Since バイオハザード is between quotes, it's used as the name of the 生物災害: the narration and the characters will refer to it as バイオハザード from now on. So indeed, both words refer to the same event.

Edit: ninja'd :)

You know I was thinking that same thing, it's in quotes so it could be the name of the event, I dismissed the thought though 🤦 Thanks for the info.

ミュータント(突然変異生命体)は瞬く間に全土を支配した。
"In the blink of an eye the whole place was overrun with Mutants."

I know 支配 doesn't mean overrun, but it's seem to me like a good translation right?

Cool :)

ここに、人類の永いレジスタンスの歴史が始まる。
"Here begins the long history of the human resistance."

That one seems too easy so I'll also try the next one:

これは、少年ジンと仲間達が、バイオ軍の支配するコロニーを舞台に繰り広げる戦いと友情の物語である。
"This is a fight and a story of friendship that Jin and his allies develope on the stage of the colony dominated by the bio army."

That one, was not easy.

The first one is correct. Strictly speaking 永い modifies レジスタンス and not 歴史, but in the end it comes down to the same thing.

The second one has quite some nesting indeed. At the most basic level we have:

これは物語である

Then, specifics are given about the 物語: [戦いと友情]の物語. (Not [戦い]と[友情の物語])

Finally, specifics are given about 戦いと友情:

少年ジンと仲間達が、バイオ軍の支配するコロニーを舞台に、(この戦いと友情を)繰り広げる

In other words, who is carrying out the fights and the friendships and where.

In addition, notice that it's コロニーを舞台に (= コロニーを舞台にして), not コロニーの舞台で.

Let's see if I can do this.

"This is a story of friendship and war about a boy called Jin and his allies that unfolds on a colony dominated by the bio army."

Wow, that was still hard! But I mulled it over and over and that is the best I could come up with.

The whole clause "少年ジンと仲間達が、バイオ軍の支配するコロニーを舞台に繰り広げる" modifies 戦いと友情の物語, thus, this is not a story about 少年ジンと仲間達. 繰り広げる is transitive, so 戦いと友情の物語 can't be the subject of it. The subject is 少年ジンと仲間達. Your translation is for バイオ軍の支配するコロニーを舞台に繰り広げられる、少年ジンと仲間達戦いと友情の物語.

Hmm, it took some chewing, but I do think I have it now.

"This is a story of friendship and war that Jin and his allies develop on a colony dominated by the bio army."

I think that's it. "Develop" may not be the best word to use there, and I removed "the boy called" part, it seemed redundant and just added to the verbosity.

Sweet! Thanks for the help, now let's move on to the manual. This is the intro page:

temp.jpg

The first thing that confuses me is the heading/title. 初期設定?Default Settings? Is that a title for the story? I don't get it :/

初期設定 usually refers to default/initial setting, but it seems to mean "setting of the story" in that case.

I see, thanks, that makes sense. Let's try the first sentence of the intro now.

22世紀、地球を遠く離れた、ここラグランジュポイントに巨大なスペースコロニーが建造された。
"In the 22nd century, a great space colony was constructed far from Earth, here in Lagrange Point."

Back
Top Bottom