What's new

Kunyomi, Onyomi, and Vocabulary

zsezse4

後輩
15 Oct 2014
Ok, so something I noticed while trying to figure out how i'm going to learn to read Japanese is that there are two ways of saying one kanji. Then if you combine the kanji together it makes a completely different word. Is it important to learn all the onyomi, kunyomi, and vocabulary, or can you just get away with only learning the vocabulary words. Tips on reading would be of great assistance.

Ok, so something I noticed while trying to figure out how i'm going to learn to read Japanese is that there are two ways of saying one kanji. Then if you combine the kanji together it makes a completely different word. Is it important to learn all the onyomi, kunyomi, and vocabulary, or can you just get away with only learning the vocabulary words. Tips on reading would be of great assistance.
Also wanted to add that I have learned how to read hiragana, and am already working on katakana.

Are you trying to learn the language? Or just the system for writing it?

Are you trying to learn the language? Or just the system for writing it?
I'm trying to learn the whole language. speaking, reading, writing, and listening. I am having issues figuring out how to read though. Speaking and understanding are not as hard for me to learn.

You don't have to figure out how to read. Use a decent textbook and it will teach you how, gradually and in context. Don't get in a rush; it's going to be a few years before you can really read anything anyway.

You don't have to figure out how to read. Use a decent textbook and it will teach you how, gradually and in context. Don't get in a rush; it's going to be a few years before you can really read anything anyway.
Any specific textbooks recommended? I already have one written my Osamu Mizutani called Introduction To Modern Japanese.

Is that one still around? I had no idea.

Genki is widely used and has a workbook and audio available. I have heard there are sites which provide extra material based on it. Buy used and save a few bucks.

Is that one still around? I had no idea.

Genki is widely used and has a workbook and audio available. I have heard there are sites which provide extra material based on it. Buy used and save a few bucks.
I had to search far for the book, because I heard it was a great book to start with. I ended up getting it in great condition for 4$.

I had to search far for the book, because I heard it was a great book to start with. I ended up getting it in great condition for 4$.

I remember using it in about 1987! I called it "The Adventures of Johnson-san". It's good for what it is, I suppose. Work through it a bit and see if this is something you're likely to stick with or not. If it is, you might want to consider something newer and with drill materials, which is an important area where many texts fall short.

Back
Top Bottom