What's new

Travel News Kumamoto Castle to reopen in 2021

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
In April 2016, Kumamoto Castle, one of the most-visited castles in Kyushu, was severely damaged in an earthquake. In 2018, on top of the earthquake damage the Drum Tower collapsed after heavy rainfall. Nevertheless, the exterior work on the castle is expected to be finished in 2019; the interior section will reopen in 2021.

Kumamoto Castle on course for full recovery, reopening 2021:The Asahi Shimbun

9B43045B-252B-4EFA-B3E4-87897862E7E0.jpeg

Photo credit: Kyodo (stones from the interior wall to be reassembled in 2018)

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/06/22/national/drum-tower-collapses-earthquake-hit-kumamoto-castle-heavy-downpours/

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/04/13/national/kumamoto-castle-repairs-expected-take-decades/

It's really great news. It's such an impressive structure and really fun to wander around and climb to the top. I know too it's closure has hit Kumamoto tourism hard. It's great that the renovation that was supposed to take 'decades' is making such good progress.

This seems like a good excuse for me to post some pics I took before the earthquake hit :)

113.JPG
108.jpg
133.jpg
142.jpg

Brilliant pictures, @KyushuWoozy , thanks for sharing!!

If you ever find some time, please contribute to our article section on Kyushu (currently just consisting of one article). :emoji_sweat_smile:

That article you reference in the Kyushu section is excellent @thomas Unfortunately it may be lonely for a while longer but I'll try to add an article when I can.

Meantime I came across this quality article about Kumamoto Castle. It discuss both the restoration efforts and the fascinating story of the castle:

BBC - Travel - The Japanese castle that defied history

I don't remember the guns @Uncle Frank but I'll look out for them when I revisit in 2021.

I have heard this castle offers "the most complete castle experience" as seen here

Last edited by a moderator:
The renovation of the donjon in Kumamoto has been finished.

kumamoto-castle-tower renovated.jpg

Media have been invited to view the renovated exterior of an ancient castle tower in southwestern Japan, which was seriously damaged by earthquakes in 2016. Journalists were ushered into part of the grounds of Kumamoto Castle in Kumamoto Prefecture on Sunday, ahead of a special sightseeing tour scheduled to start next month. The castle grounds had remained closed to the public while repair work was underway following the quakes. Now that renovation work on the main castle tower is almost complete, visitors will be allowed to enter the grounds and walk to a viewpoint, 450 meters from the tower. A closer view of the grand tower and its stone foundations will be possible. They were constructed by warlord Kato Kiyomasa in the 16th century. The exquisitely-curved, smooth stone foundation walls were designed to prevent enemy soldiers from climbing up into the tower building. Castle office head Tatsuo Amita says part of the castle will now reopen thanks to the support of people from around the country. He calls on everyone to visit the castle and see the steady progress in the reconstruction project. The special tour will be held for ten days from Saturday, and then on Sundays and national holidays until late next March.

Would like to see it some day. We often visit Kokura Castle in Kokura. Its about and hour train ride for us, and the mall and river walk is nice. With autumn here the weather is perfect time to visit.

Would like to see it some day. We often visit Kokura Castle in Kokura. Its about and hour train ride for us, and the mall and river walk is nice. With autumn here the weather is perfect time to visit.

If you have some shots of the castle, please do share. :)

Kumamoto castle is worth visiting next month even though the interior isn't accessible yet. The grounds of the castle are a favourite spot for viewing the autumn colours of ginkgo trees. However check before you go. Even the grounds have very restricted opening days.

kumamoto-castle.jpg

Photo credit: Kyodo News

The main tower of Kumamoto Castle in Kyushu reopened to the public Monday, having undergone repairs after two massive earthquakes in 2016. The old samurai fortress, completed in 1607, is a popular tourist destination in the city of Kumamoto. It was scheduled to reopen on April 26, but the plan was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The contents of an exhibition in the main tower, rebuilt in 1960, have been updated to provide information on the extensive quake damage and repair work, according to the municipal government. The six-story tower is part of Kumamoto Castle Park, which also includes a palace building and turrets. The top floor of the tower offers a view of the entire park, where reconstruction work is continuing, as well as the landscape of Kumamoto. An elevator has also been newly installed.

Back
Top Bottom