What's new

Kanji markings on an old passport 1918

fokad

Registered
14 Nov 2016
Hello,
I am a newcomer on this forum and I have no proficiency in asian languages.
My russian great father went from Vladivostok, Russia, to Tsuruga, Japan, in 1918. There are some stampings by the Japanese authorities on his passport I cannot clearly understand.
On the included pictures I could read
Picture 1:
upper part: Prefecture of Fukui
center: control or check or checkpoint. Right?
lower part: Taisho Era, year 7th, month 9th, day 30th (1918/09/30). I am unsure of the day. Is 30 right?
Picture 2:
Taisho Era, year 7th, month 9th, day 15th, visa (1918/09/15). I am unsure of the day. Is 15 right?
Picture 3:
In french we say "je donne ma langue au chat" = I give up.
This marking might be the seal of the Japanese Consul General Kikuchi Giro

I thank you in advance for your help
Best regards

Attachments

• A1.pdf
    237.4 KB · Views: 216
  • A2.pdf
    172.3 KB · Views: 172
  • A3.pdf
    181.3 KB · Views: 193
A1. Yes, you are correct. I would say "check" is a good direct translation - but it carries the meaning of having passed the examination.
A2. Since it has "5" under it, it must be 25 (二十五)
A3. Yes, the seal of the consulate. I don't think its personal to the consul, rather it is the seal of the office. I can't read all of it myself, but the middle vertical band is 日本帝国 (Empire of Japan). The last two on the left vertical band look like 領事 (consul)

Picture2
What is written after the date is 査証ス, i.e., the visa is endorsed.

The kanji upper left corner would be 総, thus, the left vertical line means Consul-General. The right line must show the name of the location.

Many thanks to Majestic and Toritoribe

Shall I be definitively right in saying that
A1: the visa was stamped on september 30.
A2: the visa was stamped on september 15
Handwritten characters are really puzzling

A3: I agree, the left column means Consul General. I had already translated the same Kanjis elsewhere on this page without observing they were similar (slightly different calligraphies).
Will you have an idea regarding the location given on the right column? My great father was in Vladivostok but the Kanjis do not mean Vladivostok (I guess).

Best regards

Yes for A1, but the date on A2 is September 25, as Majestic-san already pointed out.

It is exactly Vladivostok! The kanji name of the city is 浦潮斯徳, and the right line must be 在浦潮斯徳 "at Vladivostok" in seal script font. (The second and third kanji are illegible, but I can see the radical sanzui in the two characters.)
Here's an example of 在浦潮斯徳 in seal script.
20uz8ur.jpg

Thank you so much. Your help was beyond my expectation.
I am writing about my great fathet who travelled through Russia in 1918. By comparing with russian visas, I might discover which ship he sailed aboard from Vladivostok to Japan.
Thank you for the informations about the seal script font that was unknown to me.
Best regards

Back
Top Bottom