What's new

Kanji for word "lonely"

dajanacupic

後輩
8 Mar 2015
Hey,
Can someone tell me is the meaning of this kanji - 寂 lonely? If it is, is it lonely as an adjective and not as a noun? Also, if someone can tell me how is it read I will be so grateful!
Thanks

The kanji 寂 often represents more likely "quiet" as in 静寂. When it's used as an adjective 寂しい[samishii], it means "lonely" or "sad".

Thank you. Can you maybe tell me what kanji is used more often to represent loneliness or solitude?

An interesting post on this (Japanese only) here
孤独に悩む人は"solitudeとloneliness"の違いを認識すべき - 孤独hack
There is a subtle difference between solitude and loneliness. Usually loneliness carries a sad, negative connotation. Solitude is not inherently sad. Anyway, I think you have enough kanji to think about. Be aware that a single kanji doesn't always capture the essence of the English original. In this case, even a kanji compound might not convey exactly what you intend - not without some explanation.
(And the reverse is true also: English word/words don't always capture the essence of the Japanese original.) Translation is a tricky thing. That's why "google translate" still spits out a lot of garbage.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think it's normal to expect that you can't always translate one word literally, especially when Japanese culture and language is completely different from English. I cannot stop to be fascinated by that fact. And, as far as Google translate, let's be honest, it's useless.

Back
Top Bottom