What's new

Kanji for word "lonely"

Hey,
Can someone tell me is the meaning of this kanji - 寂 lonely? If it is, is it lonely as an adjective and not as a noun? Also, if someone can tell me how is it read I will be so grateful!
Thanks

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,539
The kanji 寂 often represents more likely "quiet" as in 静寂. When it's used as an adjective 寂しい[samishii], it means "lonely" or "sad".

Ratings
An interesting post on this (Japanese only) here
孤独に悩む人は”solitudeとloneliness”の違いを認識すべき - 孤独hack
There is a subtle difference between solitude and loneliness. Usually loneliness carries a sad, negative connotation. Solitude is not inherently sad. Anyway, I think you have enough kanji to think about. Be aware that a single kanji doesn't always capture the essence of the English original. In this case, even a kanji compound might not convey exactly what you intend - not without some explanation.
(And the reverse is true also: English word/words don't always capture the essence of the Japanese original.) Translation is a tricky thing. That's why "google translate" still spits out a lot of garbage.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think it's normal to expect that you can't always translate one word literally, especially when Japanese culture and language is completely different from English. I cannot stop to be fascinated by that fact. And, as far as Google translate, let's be honest, it's useless.