What's new

Kakejiku kanji translation correct?

Raijin

Registered
26 Feb 2015
Hi there! I am new to this forum, and this is my first post, so please forgive me any bad etiquette!

I have been looking for a cool Japanese translation website for ages! So I am very pleased to find this one!

I was wondering if someone can help me translate the kanji on the reverse of this kakejiku, depicting Mount Fuji.

I think the kanji running down the right side are -

森高稚筆別号玉僊写富士山領

And the four kanji on the left side are -

玉僊写富

If someone can confirm the characters, that would be great! And if someone can help translate them into english, that would be just awesome!

合掌!!
159.JPG
172.JPG

Last on the left looks more like 岳 to me.

First three on the right are the artist's name, the 筆 part would indicate that.

Googling the first two kanji on the left reveals this

I think the two lines may have been written by different people.

Last edited:
森高筆別号玉僊写富士
Mori Kōga(or Takamasa) hitsu Gyokusen utsusu Fujirei(or Fuji no mine)
Drawn by Mori Kōga(or Takamasa), another name Gyokusen Depicted the peak of Mount Fuji
or
Drawn by Mori Kōga(or Takamasa), another title "Depicted by Gyokusen, The Peak of Mount Fuji"

玉僊冨岳
Gyokusen Fugaku
Gyokusen Mount Fuji

森高雅 is the name of an Ukiyo-e artist in the late Edo period, and 森玉僊 is his another name as a Yamato-e artist.

森玉僊 - Wikipedia
(all in Japanese)

EDIT:
I think the two lines may have been written by different people.
I agree with this.

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you so much for the speedy replies Mike Cash and Toritoribe!!

That is so interesting, when I wrote the 4 kanji on the left, I wrote the last two the wrong way around, but I wasn't sure of 3 & 4, so I thought they were the same as the 9th and 10th characters in the right column, just the other way around.

Anyway, thank you once again, I really appreciate the information!

The signature written on the right side of the drawing is 玉僊寫. The last kanji is the traditional form of 写, thus, these three characters are also seen in the right colomn(7~9th).

Back
Top Bottom