What's new

Just so you know...! ;-)

johnnyG

Sempai
Donor
23 Dec 2010
...that you're dealing with someone cool. This is a really nice "thank you" and closure for my years teaching.

Tho I think 5-6 of us retired in March, I was the only one there, so it's not automatic. I do know that I'm the first foreigner to receive this honor. Not going to do it, but from what I've heard this makes me eligible to apply for some MEXT money if I want to continue doing research.

Attachments

• DSC03849.jpg
    DSC03849.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC03852.jpg
    DSC03852.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC03856.jpg
    DSC03856.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC03865.jpg
    DSC03865.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC03866.jpg
    DSC03866.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC03868.jpg
    DSC03868.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 71
Wow! Congratulations, John! "first foreigner" always sounds like an important milestone.
Are there larger pictures available? Or could you perhaps tell us a bit more about that honorary em... panchart?

Congratulations, John! From now on it's beer and cycling every day! :)

Following up on @Lomaster : perhaps a blog entry with the nitty-gritty?

I'm very happy to see one of our highly valued friends is also highly valued by others as well. It's the same sort of vicarious thrill you get when you find somebody thinks as highly of one of your kids as you do yourself.

You're going to need a railroad spike hammered into a tree trunk to hang that on!

Not much nitty gritty to it--they called last month and politely asked if I could come in for a short ceremony. It got rescheduled once, and somewhere in those calls it came out that it was just me, and oh, I can do a short speech, right?

Apart from the 理事長/学長 himself (dual role), and the woman who seems to have forgotten to tuck in her shirt (!), I have known the others there for years, long before they became 役員. And it came from that group, not the 教授会. (some others off camera to the right)

I didn't want to continue as 非常勤講師--not enough money for my time, besides being pinned to a calendar--but this makes me wonder if they'd've approved me for 特任教授. Ah, well, maybe in my next life...

Back
Top Bottom