What's new

Just got my 1st smart phone, question about apps

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
I got an Android S2 phone. I got the language changed to English but still lots of stuff show up in Japanese, its ok. My question is, what apps do you recommend (free only) for Japanese language study and I heard that if you write in kanji it will tell you what it means in English, would like to have that application, also one that you Speak English and or Japanese, it translate into the other language.
Also any free guitar apps would be helpful.

Thanks

I don't have android, but a lot of apps are on both platforms, so it's worth it to check.

For reading kanji, Yomiwa is pretty great and does all sorts of things. You can photograph or write kanji and have it come up. Not sure if that's on Android though.

For languages in general, especially at the lower to mid level, Duolingo is great. That's a very popular app, so I expect it to be cross platform. And it's all free.

I don't have android, but a lot of apps are on both platforms, so it's worth it to check.

For reading kanji, Yomiwa is pretty great and does all sorts of things. You can photograph or write kanji and have it come up. Not sure if that's on Android though.

For languages in general, especially at the lower to mid level, Duolingo is great. That's a very popular app, so I expect it to be cross platform. And it's all free.

Thank you.

I got an Android S2 phone. I got the language changed to English but still lots of stuff show up in Japanese, its ok. My question is, what apps do you recommend (free only) for Japanese language study and I heard that if you write in kanji it will tell you what it means in English, would like to have that application, also one that you Speak English and or Japanese, it translate into the other language.
Also any free guitar apps would be helpful.

Thanks
1) Kanji recognizer : Kanji Recognizer - Android Apps on Google Play

If you write a kanji, it gives you results of similar kanjis and meanings of kanji. Its pretty good for a free app. (You can upgrade by buying the paid version but the free version is good enough)

2) JED : JED - Japanese Dictionary - Android Apps on Google Play

I know you haven't asked for a Japanese-english dictionary, but this app has helped me a lot while learning new words. Maybe it can help you too?

3) I dont know which app translates the way you mentioned, but you can try Google translate app? Its Japanese translation is pretty bad, but worth a shot. (Its probably pre-installed in your phone)

4) There are many free guitar apps on play store. Just go to "play store"→search for "guitar" and you can download a few and see which one works the best for you :)

if you write in kanji it will tell you what it means in English

Takoboto is definitely my favourite. Also Google translate. They both translate kanji to English.

Google translate take a photo of text and translate it is amazing feature.

1) Kanji recognizer : Kanji Recognizer - Android Apps on Google Play

If you write a kanji, it gives you results of similar kanjis and meanings of kanji. Its pretty good for a free app. (You can upgrade by buying the paid version but the free version is good enough)

2) JED : JED - Japanese Dictionary - Android Apps on Google Play

I know you haven't asked for a Japanese-english dictionary, but this app has helped me a lot while learning new words. Maybe it can help you too?

3) I dont know which app translates the way you mentioned, but you can try Google translate app? Its Japanese translation is pretty bad, but worth a shot. (Its probably pre-installed in your phone)

4) There are many free guitar apps on play store. Just go to "play store"→search for "guitar" and you can download a few and see which one works the best for you :)

Thank you very much.

Takoboto is definitely my favourite. Also Google translate. They both translate kanji to English.

Google translate take a photo of text and translate it is amazing feature.
Checking them out right now.
Thank you sir.

JED is good as mentioned above but its a Japanese <-> English dictionary not really a study tool

Also, in Google Translate if you go into picture mode but don't take a picture it will live translate. Its not perfect but can help if there is a few things you want to check in quick succession. This is also not a study tool.

A quick search on the Google Play store shows a lot of free apps for studying Japanese though, I just searched with "Japanese study". Maybe just go through and read some of the reviews on the higher rated apps and then try some out. They are free so its not going to cost you anything but some time to try them out and see which one(s) you might find useful.

JED is good as mentioned above but its a Japanese <-> English dictionary not really a study tool

Also, in Google Translate if you go into picture mode but don't take a picture it will live translate. Its not perfect but can help if there is a few things you want to check in quick succession. This is also not a study tool.

A quick search on the Google Play store shows a lot of free apps for studying Japanese though, I just searched with "Japanese study". Maybe just go through and read some of the reviews on the higher rated apps and then try some out. They are free so its not going to cost you anything but some time to try them out and see which one(s) you might find useful.

Not sure what you mean by that.

Yeah, I didn't know about the Google Play store. Like wow! Found a few good apps both for Japanese and guitar.

This is also not a study tool.
Not sure what you mean by that.
It sounded like you were looking for apps to help you study Japanese. While both of those are helpful for translation they aren't designed to walk you through an instructional course on learning Japanese. You will find apps in the Google Play store that are designed to do that thought that will probably be of more help.

It sounded like you were looking for apps to help you study Japanese. While both of those are helpful for translation they aren't designed to walk you through an instructional course on learning Japanese. You will find apps in the Google Play store that are designed to do that thought that will probably be of more help.

Thanks. I'm learning my way around this phone now. I see many apps for Japanese language and for guitar. Some very good stuff I've found. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom