What's new

Jurassic Park

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Reported by Vladivostok News, Aug. 15, 2002:

Japanese professor plans Pleistocene Park

"Jurassic Park was a work of fiction. Pleistocene Park, a home to revitalized mammoths, may become fact in as little as 20 years. A joint team of Japanese and Russian scientists arrived in the Siberian province of Yakutia on August 1 to excavate a number of creatures that have been extinct for millennia - including mammoths and woolly rhinoceros.

[...]

They plan to extract DNA from the remains, crossbreed the retrieved nucleus with the creatures' modern-day counterparts and return the resurrected dinosaurs to a vast "safari park" in northern Siberia."

=> http://vlad.tribnet.com/News/upd14.HTM

You could argue that we shouldn't play god, but i personally think this is too fascinating not to try.

I agree with you on the moral aspects, but in the long run not even the cloning of human cells can be prevented (not by U.S. jurisdiction, not by the catholic church). Call it "fascination" or "progress"...

I'm not totally against the cloning of humans. Take, for instance, the cloning for donor purposes. You could essentially make a brainless clone of yourself, so when your heart, eyes or any other organs fail, you could have them replaced. Or what about people with a rare type of blood?

However, this technology is bound to fall into wrong hands, so we could well be finding some strange deformed creatures walking the planet or wake up some ancient desease that we can't control.

But that is "progress" and when you imagine the possibilities, i think it's a risk well worth taking.

Well, a knife cuts bread, it also cuts throats. It's upon us to decide.

Speaking of DNA manipulation and superhumans, does anybody watch the series "Dark Angel" on TV ? It has just started a few weeks ago in Japan.

I think this project is very interesting. My only gripe is why waste money and time on mammoths and Rhinos? We still have Rhinos and mammoth-like creatures roaming the plains of Africa...ELEPHANTS. They should ressurect some other creature or create a new one altogether. I am an athiest (I don't believe in God) so I have no opinion on the 'playing God' argument.

Originally posted by Maciamo
Speaking of DNA manipulation and superhumans, does anybody watch the series "Dark Angel" on TV ? It has just started a few weeks ago in Japan.

Jessica Alba is one of the most beautiful women ever to exist.

😍

Last edited:
People are meant to live only so long ... I want to live a long time especially to follow scientific advancements but ... this is a technology that really needs to thought about thoroughly through.

hmm, I want to be 25 again :) and return to the thumb generation ;)

I am only 27, almost 28, and when I am 50 or so, I may want to be young again but have you really thought about it. You will have the mentality of a 50 year old in the body of a 25 year old...How SWEEET, or is it. Your going to have to get used to your body all over again. Plus, you no longer fit into society the same way. There are new social ways for the 20 year olds, they are different from when you were 25. it could be interesting though.

How do you do that? How do you still feel young? I envy you. I'm 23 and I feel really old. I dread my 24th birthday.

Hey, I'm 33 and still feel like 16. No, make that 18...
;)

I'm also 33 and feel about 18-25,, I got the greatest compliment to-day, I was speaking to a lady who passes my home every-day on her way to work,, we chatted and I added to the conversation that I was 33, the lady I was speaking to was definately in her 20's, and too my amazement when I said my age she was shocked!! she beleived that I was also in my 20's, well that cheered me up alot, haha,, but it would be really nice to look in my 20's again because I was very slim and athletic, now at the age of 33 I can only look back on pictures, and say "well it was nice" the prospect of looking like that again, well what can I say!!!!! it would be a risk worth taking, the cloning aspect of this how-ever I have a problem with, there must be side effects and at some stage an ill fated sickness just like that cloned sheep? (cant remember its name) but I dont think we should play god!!

I guess I just feel really old because I've been through so many hardships in such a short time. Not to judge any of you, but I've probably been through more hell than a lot of people almost twice my age. When I was 16, I felt I was 25. None of my schoolmates in my age group could understand me. I'm not saying none of you have been through hardships, but I guess I take them differently.

The group of 3 ... 3 33 year olds :)

@ tragedy
I don't know what to say but ... I hope that you can use those hardships to your benefit. They are valuable experiences and hopefully they were something that you could learn from.
<I've read about C.G. Jung's Synchronicity recently.>

@ feeling young.
It's really a mind set. IF you let life and others put you down you'll feel old. Even with hardships or not, it's how you feel that makes the difference. If you want to feel old you will.

I'm 33 and felt about 18 until recently ... now it's about 25.

@bodly vs societly ages
whoooo, good point there SamuraiTora. Being a Gaijin in Japan makes it easier to associate with different age groups and I can see what you're saying. Recently I find associating with my students on their level is getting harder and harder every year.

But, What about Conan -- the boy detective who was chemically aged back to about 10 ??? while his real self is 20ish? lol cartoons, don't you love em?

My girlfriend often tells me that men never grow up...

@ Tragedy:
Don't worry about how old you feel. Especially if you've already got a lot of other things to worry about.
Just bare in mind that mental aging can be reversed. Someday something might happen in your life that makes you feel 16 again, no matter how old you are in reality.

I think any chance to see a real live mammoth, or any thing else for that matter, would be great. Cloning means, any thing we destroy we can restore again.

thomas said:
Reported by Vladivostok News, Aug. 15, 2002:

Japanese professor plans Pleistocene Park

"Jurassic Park was a work of fiction. Pleistocene Park, a home to revitalized mammoths, may become fact in as little as 20 years. A joint team of Japanese and Russian scientists arrived in the Siberian province of Yakutia on August 1 to excavate a number of creatures that have been extinct for millennia - including mammoths and woolly rhinoceros.

[...]

They plan to extract DNA from the remains, crossbreed the retrieved nucleus with the creatures' modern-day counterparts and return the resurrected dinosaurs to a vast "safari park" in northern Siberia."

=> http://vlad.tribnet.com/News/upd14.HTM

I knew this was going to happen TIME ago. and you people have just found out. I thought britain was the place where everything comes last but not in this case.

Bounty Hunter said:
I knew this was going to happen TIME ago. and you people have just found out. I thought britain was the place where everything comes last but not in this case.
Sorry to pop you bubble, Bounty Hunter. I had designed THE original plan in the 1970's mind you. Magna Britannia came later in this case. Still, second place is good. Let's drink to that when it becomes reality ! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom