What's new

JLPT Review

chldudghks0517

Black Rooster
21 Oct 2012
日本に留学することにしました。子供の時から日本の歴史について勉強したいと思いました。ですから日本語の勉強を一生懸命しなければならないです。留学に行く前に中学校の友達が会いに来る予定です。田舎から来るのですが、迎えに______。友達とあちらこちらを回りたいです。

I have to fill in the blank. The choices are the following
(1) 行ったことがあります
(2) 行ったほうがいいです
(3) 行かなくてもいいです
(4) 行かないでください

I chose (2)because I thought that I should go and pick up my friend if he is coming from the countryside, but the answer is actually (3). The answer explanation in the textbook is very brief and not helpful at all. Can anyone explain why number (3)is the correct answer? Is it because of the ~が that come before the blank?

(Source: Crack the Exam! - JLPT N4/5 Vocabulary & Grammar)

Last edited:
Yes, it's because of the adversative conjunction が. It's common you should go and pick up your friend when he is coming from the countryside, but you don't need to do so this time (for some reason, for instance because he said so). If it's 田舎から来ますから or 来るので (= because he is coming from the countryside), #2 is the correct answer.

Yes, it's because of the adversative conjunction が. It's common you should go and pick up your friend when he is coming from the countryside, but you don't need to do so this time (for some reason, for instance because he said so). If it's 田舎から来ますから or 来るので (= because he is coming from the countryside), #2 is the correct answer.

Thank you for the clarification! :)

壁にある絵の中に町があります。鳥も飛んでいるし、川もあるし、町の向こうには小さい山がたくさんあります。その後ろには高い山があります。高い山のには雪があります。この山は「富士山だろう」と思いました。川には三つの橋があります。一つは汽車が、もう一つは人が、もう一つは車が通る橋です。汽車の橋は鉄になっていますが、残りはかもしれません。川の深さは浅いところも、_____よく分かりません。

This one is quite confusing.

(1) 深くないところもありますから
(2) 深いところもありますから
(3) 深いところもありませんから
(4) 深くないところもありませんから

My answer was (3) but the correct answer is (2). My guess was that if neither shallow nor deep parts are drawn (it's just a plain river with no outstanding features), then it must be difficult to measure the depth of that river. Or is there something wrong with my logic?

And, if (2) is true, then why can't (4), an equivalent expression of (2), be the answer? Is it because it sounds awkward when (4) is inserted into the blank? Is there sort of like a rule for parallelism in Japanese as well just as in English?

And,

... 高い山のには雪があります...

How do you know whether to read "" as "うえ" or "じょう"?

Likewise,

... 残りはかもしれません ...

Is "" read as "き" or "もく" in this context?

(ㅡㅡ) (__ __)

These are fun. I got the right answer on this one and your previous one which means I haven't forgotten everything yet. 😁

> Or is there something wrong with my logic?

Your logic makes sense but you're overthinking the scene they've laid out. I agree it sounds strange for them to speculate about something they can't see in the painting and yet claim there are both shallow and deep parts of the river.

For this particular problem you can ignore everything else and just focus on the problem sentence I think. I eliminated (1) and (4) because they mean same as shallow and you wouldn't say "shallow and not deep" even in English. Plus the double negative in (4) sounds wrong or at least awkward. And (3) sounds wrong too. There are neither shallow nor deep parts in the river so I can't tell.
I get why you got the answer you did though...

> How do you know whether to read "" as "うえ" or "じょう"?
For me that came with experience. I've never heard いちばんじょう in my life.

> Is "" read as "き" or "もく" in this context?
This one is little more straightforward. If it's not a compound word, it's a pretty safe bet that it's 訓読み and therefore き.

浅いところも、_____

(1) 深くないところもありますから
(2) 深いところもありますから
(3) 深いところもありませんから
(4) 深くないところもありませんから

1. There are places where it is shallow and places where it isn't deep.

2. There are places where it is shallow and places where it is deep.

3. There are no places where it is shallow and no places where it is deep.

4. There are no places where it is shallow and there are no places where it is not-deep (read: "shallow")

#1 is just nonsensical

#2 is a logical possibility

#3 is a logical impossibility

#4 is a Gotcha! to test if you understand the nature of the negation in Japanese or if you are translating and thinking of it the same way as English ("There are no places where it is shallow and there are no places where it is not deep"). The 〜くない negates 深い, essentially turning it into its antonym, 浅い.

"There are no places where it is 浅い and there are no places where it is 深くない" is a logical impossibility.

一番上 is in the dictionary as a separate adjective read 「いちばんうえ」; this is a little counter-intuitive as 上 is generally read 「うえ」 as a standalone word and 「じょう」 in a kanji compound, especially when they other kanji are also using on-readings.

4 does not mean the same as 2. 4 is 'there are no places that are not deep' (= 'there are only shallow places'). That would make the whole thing redundant if you were to say it that way 'there are shallow places, and also there are only shallow places'.

I will say that double (and triple and quadruple) negatives are much more common in Japanese than in English. I wouldn't discount (4) on that basis alone.

4 is 'there are no places that are not deep' (= 'there are only shallow places')
Watch out: "there are no places that are not deep" is a double negative, which if you eliminate it, boils down to "all places are deep". But indeed, "There are no shallow places and no non-deep places" is saying the same thing twice and shows that you have an idea about the river's depth, which clashes with the statement that follows about not being able to tell the depth.

3 "There are no shallow and no deep places" might be possible if you assume there is such a thing as an average river depth which is neither particularly shallow nor particularly deep. But again, this clashes with what follows.

1 states twice that there are shallow places, while implicitly leaving open the possibility of deep places. 2 on the other hand explicitly states that there are also deep places, so it's the best fit for explaining your uncertainty.

Last edited:
the answer is 3?
浅いところも、_____

(1) 深くないところもありますから
(2) 深いところもありますから
(3) 深いところもありませんから
(4) 深くないところもありませんから

ごめん、間違えた
the answer should be 2

N2に合格しても、まだ下手だと思います。
私は香港人だから、漢字には大丈夫ですけど、文法は苦手です。

よろしく

Okay. I'm starting to get a bit frustrated now. The number of mistakes I'm making is increasing!

私はアパート_____住んでいます。駅から歩いて三分ぐらいかかりますから、便利なところだと思います。家の近くには銀行もあるし、スーパーもあるし、本屋もあります。でも、場所はいいですけれども高いです。最初、アパートを見たとき、「たかいだろう」と思いました。

(1) で
(2) に
(3) より
(4) まで

My answer was (1) but the book says the correct answer is (2). Again, I'm asking because the explanation in the book is not helpful at all. I thought that で is used when an event takes place somewhere (in this case the even would be the "act of living in an apartment."). In addition, I thought that に is used to indicate direction, which is irrelevant here. Where did I go wrong? Or, wait a minute, is (this just popped up in my head) the verb 住む used with the particle に just like the verb 会う?

By the way, the other five underlined parts were also blanks that I filled in with some confidence (Just saying I did my job and am not asking for answers without even trying to answer or thinking through it.). Are they correct?

日本に( )時、いろんな経験をしました。

(1) いた
(2) いる
(3) いて
(4) いたら

My answer was (2), but the books says the correct answer is (1). What exactly is the difference between (1) and (2)? Verb tense? Why is it wrong to use いる? Is it because of the verb tense used in the sentence is past tense? I'm just a beginner so this might sound weird, but いる still sounds quite right to me.

This is the last one.

<カメラセンターで>
A 「いらっしゃいませ。」
B 「カメラが壊れましたが。」
A 「どこが壊れましたか。うん~~ ボタンを押すことができませんね。」
B 「いつまでてきますか。それからいくらぐらいかかりますか。」
A 「値段は今は分かりません。今日が火曜日ですから、金曜日まではできると思います。」
B 「遅いですね。金曜日に旅行に行きます。木曜日までにできませんか。」
A 「無理だと思います。」(Curse you. I'm just going to look for another store. haha)
B 「では、金曜日の午後に出発するから、午前中はできますか。」
A 「はい、わかりました。」
B 「_____、空港に行く前に、よります。バッテリーも買いたいです。」
A 「値段はもっと高くなります。」

(1) しかし
(2) でも
(3) ところで
(4) では

First off, is there really a place called カメラセンター in Japan? Can you also take photos in this "camera center?"

Second, the book explained the explained the difference between まで and までに as being that of "continuous" and "instantaneous," respectively It said that まで is used to indicate an action continues to happen for a prolonged period of time until it ends while までに has this sense of a "deadline" until which something needs to be done. Is this explanation correct?

Third, I have no idea what よります means in this context. I think I can fill the blank if I know the meaning of this word.

Thank you as always.
(ㅡㅡ) (__ __)

Or, wait a minute, is (this just popped up in my head) the verb 住む used with the particle に just like the verb 会う?
Yes, that's exactly it. It follows the same pattern. Living is not a transitive verb like eating or something like that.

Is it because of the verb tense used in the sentence is past tense?
Yes. Even in English you can't say "When I'm in Japan I had many experiences."

First off, is there really a place called カメラセンター in Japan? Can you also take photos in this "camera center?"
Probably. It wouldn't surprise me at all. But in this case it's just a generic word meaning something like "Camera Store" and/or "Camera Service Center." To me the implication is that it's a full service camera store as opposed to a little shop.
Found one here: Google Maps

Second, the book explained the explained the difference between まで and までに as being that of "continuous" and "instantaneous," respectively It said that まで is used to indicate an action continues to happen for a prolonged period of time until it ends while までに has this sense of a "deadline" until which something needs to be done. Is this explanation correct?
Of course it's true. It's in the book isn't it? :sneaky:
Simplistically you can think of まで as until and までに as by <when>.

Third, I have no idea what よります means in this context.
It means "stop by" or "drop in" among other meanings. The kanji for this one is 寄る.

Last edited:
Yes, that's exactly it. It follows the same pattern. Living is not a transitive verb like eating or something like that.

Yes. Even in English you can't say "When I'm in Japan I had many experiences."

Probably. It wouldn't surprise me at all. But in this case it's just a generic word meaning something like "Camera Store" and/or "Camera Service Center." To me the implication is that it's a full service camera store as opposed to a little shop.
Found one here: Google Maps

Of course it's true. It's in the book isn't it? :sneaky:
Simplistically you can think of まで as until and までに as by <when>.

It means "stop by" or "drop in" among other meanings. The kanji for this one is 寄る.

mdchachi, you're amazing! Thanks for the feedback (and I really liked the street view in Google Maps).

My answer was (1) but the book says the correct answer is (2). Again, I'm asking because the explanation in the book is not helpful at all. I thought that で is used when an event takes place somewhere (in this case the even would be the "act of living in an apartment."). In addition, I thought that に is used to indicate direction, which is irrelevant here. Where did I go wrong? Or, wait a minute, is (this just popped up in my head) the verb 住む used with the particle に just like the verb 会う?
Utterly Lost | Japan Forum

As in the thread above, に indicates the location of existence as same as いる or ある. Whether the verb is transitive or intransitive doesn't matter here. Incidentally, で is associated with a similar meaning verb 暮らす, so it would be better to remember the verb and particle as a set.
in conclusion;
locationに住む
locationで暮らす

As for 会う, you can also use と to indicate the person(s) you meet.
More particle help! | Japan Forum

By the way, the other five underlined parts were also blanks that I filled in with some confidence (Just saying I did my job and am not asking for answers without even trying to answer or thinking through it.). Are they correct?
What are other options? Some of them seem awkward, I mean, it might not be the correct answer.

日本に( )時、いろんな経験をしました。

(1) いた
(2) いる
(3) いて
(4) いたら

My answer was (2), but the books says the correct answer is (1). What exactly is the difference between (1) and (2)? Verb tense? Why is it wrong to use いる? Is it because of the verb tense used in the sentence is past tense? I'm just a beginner so this might sound weird, but いる still sounds quite right to me.
Unlike in English, いる and いた are both correct and the meaning is completely the same there, as you suspected. (As a side note, the difference in tense between English and Japanese language is a cause of headaches also for Japanese learners of English.) The following thread might be helpful to understand this grammatical issue.
時 in the following sentence | Japan Forum

~てまで | Japan Forum

Now you can see the problem here?

A 「値段はもっと高くなります。」

(1) しかし
(2) でも
(3) ところで
(4) では
So, what is the correct answer?

... so it would be better to remember the verb and particle as a set.

I'll keep this in mind.

Now you can see the problem here?

いつまでにできますか。 Would this be the correct revision?

A 「値段はもっと高くなります。」

(1) しかし
(2) でも
(3) ところで
(4) では

So, what is the correct answer?

The answer would be (4).

This forum is amazing.

By the way, why can't I edit my previous post after some time? I can't find the edit buttons for my previous posts anymore. ^^;;

よろしくお願いします。(ㅡㅡ) (__ __)

A 「すみません、荷物を運んで( )。」
B 「いいですよ。」

(1) 上げますか。
(2) もらえませんか。
(3) 差し上げますか。
(4) くれ。

This one is really confusing. Isn't person A asking a favor to person B? My answer is (2), but the book says the correct answer is (1).:banghead:

(4) is obviously wrong because it is impolite to speak that way when you are making a request.:geek:
(3) and (1) sound wrong because you wouldn't say すみません and say that you would volunteer to carry the luggage for somebody, right? (Wouldn't that sound a bit suspicious?) Wouldn't it be more proper to say 荷物を差し上げましょうか。 or 私が荷物を差し上げてもいいですか。:D

Here's another one. Please feel free to take this quiz yourself! By the way, this is a passage from a workbook for the new JLPT N5.

ここは交差点です。広い通りにはバスと電車が( ⑥ )。向こうには電車を待っている人が5,6人います。バズ乗り場には( ⑦ )人が( ⑧ )。私もバスを待っています。隣の外国人が「新宿まで行くバスの番号は何ですか。」と聞きました。私は「ここで35番のバス( ⑨ )乗って、5番目で降りてください。35-1番に( ⑩ )。」と教えてあげました。

(1) 走るからです
(2) 走りません
(3) 走りたいです
(4) 走っています

(1) よく
(2) 非常に
(3) 大勢の
(4) 時々

(1) 笑ったり、泣いたりしています
(2) 食べたり、飲んだりしています
(3) 乗ったり、降りたりしています
(4) 書いたり、読んだりしています

(1) に
(2) が
(3) の
(4) も

(1) 乗ってもいいです
(2) 乗ってはいけません
(3) 乗ってきます
(4) 乗って帰ります

I can answer questions 6, 7, 8, and 9 with confidence. However, question number 10 seems to be confusing. My answer was (1) because my assumption was that buses with numbers 35 and 35-1 both use the same route and thus it is okay for this foreigner to ride either one. Or is this not true in real life in Japan (i.e. 35 and 35-1 or 35-9 do not use the same route in Japan)?

But the book says the correct answer is (2). Well, I understand why this might be correct. Bus number 35 might be mistaken for bus number 35-1 which uses a completely different route and therefore drop this foreigner nowhere near Shinjuku. But still.... well? :confused:

And, isn't the バズ highlighted in red a typo? Or it is correct?

By the way, why can't I edit my previous post after some time? I can't find the edit buttons for my previous posts anymore. ^^;;
There's a time limit for editing. An hour I think.

This one is really confusing. Isn't person A asking a favor to person B? My answer is (2), but the book says the correct answer is (1).:banghead:
From the answer it's clear that A is asking B if A should carry B's luggage. As if A is a bellhop. Honestly, I thought (2) was possible and that (1) & (3) would be hard to differentiate because you don't know the relationships between the two people. So I might have gotten this one wrong. :(

(3) and (1) sound wrong because you wouldn't say すみません and say that you would volunteer to carry the luggage for somebody, right? (Wouldn't that sound a bit suspicious?) Wouldn't it be more proper to say 荷物を運んで差し上げましょうか。 or 私が荷物を運んで差し上げてもいいですか。:D
The sentence pattern sounds perfectly fine but without knowing the context I thought it seemed ambiguous and, like I said, I probably would have selected (2) also. But now that I think about it more, the clue is in the response. The casual いいですよ。If the response was かしこまりました or something like that, then (2) would be correct.

I can answer questions 6, 7, 8, and 9 with confidence. However, question number 10 seems to be confusing. My answer was (1) because my assumption was that buses with numbers 35 and 35-1 both use the same route and thus it is okay for this foreigner to ride either one. Or is this not true in real life in Japan (i.e. 35 and 35-1 or 35-9 do not use the same route in Japan)?
Dang I might have missed this one too. o_O Your assumption could be correct but in that case you wouldn't say it's ok to get on bus 35-1 and not mention the others. In hindsight it's clear that (1) is not the best way to tell somebody which bus to get on since it says it's "ok even if you get on 35-1" but no info about the others. Too ambiguous and odd. The correct answer makes it clear that 35-1 won't work (but all others will).

I would also have chosen 1 for #10.

I assume the reason it is incorrect is that technically it should be:
35-1番に乗ってもいいです

I am just as baffled as you are by the first question. That is either a typo or you looked at the answer key wrong.

バズ is a typo.

There is a one hour time limit for editing posts.

A 「すみません、荷物を運んで( )。」
B 「いいですよ。」

(1) 上げますか。
(2) もらえませんか。
(3) 差し上げますか。
(4) くれ。

(4) is obviously wrong because it is impolite to speak that way when you are making a request.:geek:
(3) and (1) sound wrong because you wouldn't say すみません and say that you would volunteer to carry the luggage for somebody, right? (Wouldn't that sound a bit suspicious?) Wouldn't it be more proper to say 荷物を差し上げましょうか。 or 私が荷物を差し上げてもいいですか。:D
Your understanding is correct. The correct answer must be #2. #1 and #3 are not appropriate because of すみません and B's いいですよ. Even if it starts with あのー and the answer is 上げましょうか or 差し上げましょうか, B's answer いいですよ (the answer for refusing in this case) sounds rude. Is the given correct answer really #3, as Mike-san suspected?

Also as for the second question, 乗ってもいいです and 乗ってはいけません can be both equally correct. The more important problem is on another part; バス乗り場には( ⑦ )人が( ⑧ )。 There is no correct answer here because of に. The given correct answer would be #3 乗ったり、降りたりしています, but the particle must be で in that case.

Judging from your posts so far (there are so many awkward/odd expressions also in other example sentences. I suppose it's written by a non-native Japanese speaker), I recommend not to use that book anymore...

The author is Kim Jeong-eun.

Haha. You nailed it. When I bought this book and saw the author's name, I had this funny thought: Oh, I'm reading a book written by the Supreme Leader of DPRK. 😄😄😄😄😄

Even if it starts with あのー and the answer is 上げましょうか or 差し上げましょうか, B's answer いいですよ (the answer for refusing in this case) sounds rude.

Okay. So, I'm trying to use my intuition with this one. You said that person B saying 「いいですよ。」 sounds rude when person A says「あのー、荷物を運んで上げましょうか。」Is person B being rude because he is blatantly refusing someone's help when it was offered to him? Would saying 「結構です。」in this case sound less rude, or is there not much of a difference? o_O

The more important problem is on another part; バス乗り場には( ⑦ )人が( ⑧ )。 There is no correct answer here because of に. The given correct answer would be #3 乗ったり、降りたりしています, but the particle must be で in that case.

Okay, I understood this one clearly. Particles. Particles. Particles.:eek:

Judging from your posts so far (there are so many awkward/odd expressions also in other example sentences. I suppose it's written by a non-native Japanese speaker), I recommend not to use that book anymore...

I will bear that in mind. But I bought this book, so I have to squeeze out as much juice as I can from it. :unsure:

I thought about buying the entire series for this book, but I'm beginning to reconsider my options. I heard that Bonjinsha has some good books out in the market. I also heard about this Marugoto book, or something.

まるごと日本のことばと文化
日本語能力試験:Japanese-Language Proficiency Test | 世界の日本語教育に貢献するにほんごの凡人社

These seem quite nice considering the fact that they've been made by native speakers. Or can you recommend some books, if you don't mind Toritoribe-san. Or is there a thread here about recommended books written by Japanese speakers for beginners to advanced students?

I assume the reason it is incorrect is that technically it should be:
35-1番に乗ってもいいです

I didn't think about this possibility. Thank you for the input.

バズ is a typo.

This book seems to have a number of typos. Thank you, anyway.

おくにはいつかえりますか。

I have no idea what おく means in this sentence. Does it mean deep (that would make the sentence awkward)? Does it mean おく as in おくさん? My book says おく is similar to 田舎(いなか). Is this true (I can't trust this book.)?

My next question is how on earth 今度 can mean "next time" when the kanji 今 means now. Is there a historical background for this?

I know that 今度 can also mean "this time" or something along that line, but how can you determine if it means "this time" or "next time?" Can Japanese people easily sort things out if they have the context?

おくにはいつかえりますか

お国はいつ帰りますか。

You're squeezing all the juice you can from a turd. Is that the kind of juice you really want?

For "this time", use 今回.

Back
Top Bottom