What's new

JLPT results 2017

lanthas

27 Apr 2014
The results of July's JLPT examination are available online starting today. How did it go for everyone?

I'm happy to report I achieved an 一発クリア: passing the highest level (N1) on my first attempt at any level. My score is just "okay" (~45/60 in each area, 133/180 total) and I'm not actually going to use the certificate for anything, but it's nice to have passed anyway :).

Congrats, lanthas! July's examination was my first attempt too, though it was for N3. What are your future plans (language-wise)?

Unfortunately the results from Moscow's test site won't be published any time soon. According to an official statement by Japan Foundation's Moscow office - logistics company responsible for transporting answer sheets supposedly fell under hackers' attack. So their delivery to Japan was delayed. Although it is mentioned that as of now the blanks are safe and are undergoing verifying procedures in Tokyo.

Personally i doubt that a cyber attack is to blame. Traditional Russian fecklessness seems more plausible here, and that "hackers' attack" is probably just some made-up 言い訳 on part of the logistics company.

That's a shame. Maybe they got hit by ransomware, or maybe it was indeed due to sloppiness... Who knows. Let us know your result when it does get published then.

As for my future plans, I very much realize that passing the N1 still puts me nowhere near native level. I recently started reading my third Japanese novel (平城山を越えた女) and still need to look up new kanji, words and expressions almost constantly. Same thing when watching anime that's more complex than "slice of life." So I'll continue practicing those, just as I've been doing before taking the test. Not that I'm planning to move to Japan or start doing professional translation or something - I just want to enjoy Japanese media.

Congratulations! I'm planning to re-take N4 this December. Being in the United States it's only available once a year.

Good luck! Here in this tiny country called Belgium it's not available at all - I had to travel to the Netherlands where it's also only held once a year (except in July).

Good luck! Here in this tiny country called Belgium it's not available at all - I had to travel to the Netherlands where it's also only held once a year (except in July).

Do you know the phrase スープが冷めない距離 ?

I didn't know it, but it speaks for itself, heh. For clarity: I certainly didn't mean it as "I had to travel all the way to the Netherlands", just as "Belgium is so small it doesn't even get the JLPT." In fact, I crossed the border, took the test, and went back home all in one day.

Guess it depends on where you started and ended in each country. I have to travel from the Indianapolis area to either Chicago or Columbus. So your journey was likely about as long or shorter than mine will be.

This is great news lanthas-さん
Sadly my country doesn't host mid-year tests, I'll have to do mine in december.
If everything goes fine I'll make sure to post it here.

Too bad I failed the N1 two times in a row(2015 and 2016), maybe because I've been "sprinting" instead of "marathoning" my way into japanese. Last year I lost by 5 points :emoji_frowning2:

Maybe this year I'll finally put a 終止符 in this matter
And at least honor the fine tutoring I received from Toritoribeさん, Mikeさん and Nekojitaさん

Too bad I failed the N1 two times in a row(2015 and 2016), maybe because I've been "sprinting" instead of "marathoning" my way into japanese. Last year I lost by 5 points :emoji_frowning2:
Aah, so close! Must've been frustrating.

It's definitely about marathoning. Personally I spent a few months before the test going through the Kanzen Master books as extra preparation, but in the end, I only got to use very little of what I learned there. Instead, the key was the daily reading and listening I'd been doing for the past three years.

Good luck with your next attempt. Hopefully you'll succeed this time :)

It didn't take too long for Moscow results to be processed after all. Though the results still seem to be too good to be truth for me. But one thing i am absolutely sure of is that the scores wouldn't have been nearly as high as they are if not for all the support i got from dear members of our amazing forum here.

UPDATE: forgot to attach the results. Silly me.
HOsI8b1.jpg

I took N4 for the first time last year and I failed by that many points. I feel I will pass it easy this year mostly because I spent a full month in Japan. I feel your pain though, it's so frustrating to see that you failed and then to realize it was by so narrow a margin.

Good luck on your next attempt.

Back
Top Bottom