What's new

Are you joining October's Tadoku Challenge?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Still thinking / Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tadoku

Registered
26 Sep 2015
Good morning! My name is Kou. \(^o^)/ I want to hold Monthly Tadoku Challenge.

What is Tadoku?

'Ta' in tadoku means 'a lot', and 'doku' means 'to read'. It's a challenge for language learner to read as many as they can within a month. (Originally, there is no time-limit at all, but there will be for this thread) It is also called as extensive reading.

How to do Tadoku? (From Tadoku.org)
  1. Start from scratch.
    Read easy books you can enjoy without translating. That way, you will understand better and so you will read more
  2. Don't use your dictionary. Don't use your dictionary when you come across words you don't know. Guess the meaning from the pictures and/or the story.
  3. Skip over difficult words, phrases and passages. If guessing doesn't work, skip over that word, phrase or passage and go on reading. You can often enjoy the book without understanding every small detail.
  4. When the going gets tough, quit the book and pick up another. The going gets tough when the book is not suitable for your level or your interest. Simply throw the book away and start reading something else.
But, you do not need to follow the four steps. Feel free to do it in the way you like it. For example, sometimes I check dictionary and jot down new words on Anki.

What is count as reading material?
Anything! It can be a book, picture book, article, games, even tweet. Anything in Japanese.

Benefit joining Tadoku challenge
  • Motivate you to read Japanese material
  • Interact with others Japanese learner (learning alone— especially self-study can sometimes be lonely!)
  • Get to know other reading material by checking what other is reading (win-win situation!)

How to join the challenge?
  1. You will need to register an account in Jref
  2. Post a reply stating you want to join
Afterward, simply report what you have read (whether it is book title, article links, tweet links, games name), and how much sentences or words you have read.

At the end of each month, I will manually calculate all of them (how many sentence and words you have read), and post it up on the first page.

Additional notes:
  • This thread is not affiliated with readmod.com
  • There is no time-limit for registration. You can join early, in the middle of the month, or near the end of the month. On the 'Monthly Challenged Hall', there will be shown what date did you register for the monthly challenge
  • This is not a contest. But you can think of it as one if you would like!
  • Every single challenger name will be shown on the front page at the end of the month
If you feel like it, please join the challenge! Also, if there is anything you don't understand, or confused, don't hesitate to ask!

For October's Monthly Challenge, it'll specially start at 26 Sep to the end of October. On November and so on, it'll start at the first day of the month.

Reference: 英語サイト | NPO多言語多読 and Tadoku Contest Web App

Last edited:
Why are you ripping off both the name and the idea from an existing organization and trying to start your own little private tadoku here instead of just telling people about the one you're ripping off?

Why are you ripping off both the name and the idea from an existing organization and trying to start your own little private tadoku here instead of just telling people about the one you're ripping off?

I'm really sorry. I don't mean to rip off the idea. I made this thread because I simply would love to participate in Tadaku challange (Tadoku Contest Web App) but found that the contest only runs during the months of January, April, July, and October (Reference). Tadoku.org's forum, TADOKU FORUMS - 多読フォーラム • トップページ for "Tadoku in English' no longer active since 23 August 2015.

I thought it would be great if we could have monthly Tadoku challenge where learner can interact with each other while keeping on track of their reading (It became a great motivation to keep going!), which the other main reason why I decided to make this thread.

Though, I have put it the original source since the start.

For October's Monthly Challenge, it'll specially start at 26 Sep to the end of October. On November and so on, it'll start at the first day of the month.

Reference: 英語サイト | NPO多言語多読 and Tadoku Contest Web App

I'm sorry if it bother you. And, I may have not convey properly that Tadoku activity is not invent by me, but rather by 英語サイト | NPO多言語多読.. I want to apologize to Mike Cash and everyone who is reading this.

Back
Top Bottom