What's new

Japanese by Example... anybody wants to try?!

Torkel

Registered
4 Aug 2015
I wrote an app for learning Japanese, based on the idea that we learn by seeing multiple examples. My app has 170'000 Japanese sentences with english translations. And, critically, this app also has furigana easily accessible!
8MpE0hk.jpg

My issue with Japanese has always been that I don't know the kanjis, and looking them up breaks my flow. With other languages I can pick up a text and at least read it. Not so with the kanjis in Japanese..

Also, I love the Imiwa dictionary on the iPhone. I found the examples there really good for learning - reading examples taught me a lot. But there was no way to remove the furigana and english to try and read it myself first. And no sorting of the sentences by difficulty level.

So, anyway - my app "Japanese by Example" solves it all as I want it. It shows Japanese sentences from one of three difficulty levels. Then you can click on furigana to see that, and/or english to see the translation. Wrote it over the course of a few hotter-that-what's-nice-to-be-out-in weather in Tokyo :)

I love it :)

So... - does anybody else want to try it?!?

It's made for the mac (Yosemite). I can package it up as a .zip-file and email it if anybody wants to try! :)

(I'm thinking maybe to release it on mac app store, or maybe even make an iPhone app out of it... But would be good with some feedback first - no need to put in the work if nobody but me thinks this is a good way to learn...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Torkel, thanks for signing up! I'm a big fan of Imiwa, but your app looks promising too! :)

Sorry, I have editted out your email address, people can always contact you via Private Communication.

Sure, that would be great, but I cannot promise to take look at it before the weekend. I'll shoot you a PC (private message).

Back
Top Bottom