Japan Photos 2017

johnnyG

Sempai
Donor
23 Dec 2010
dinner-A.jpg
dinner-B.jpg
dinner-C.jpg
Here are a few to christen this year's photo thread. The first was the initial spread while waiting for another family, the second and third add some sashimi and ikura. I missed an added dish that came out mid-way, some roast pork. Nothing there came directly from a store. The wasabi and ginger are fresh ground. Crabs were cheaper than expected the other day, so some extra of that.

Last edited:
Went to lunch today with wife, sis-in-law and her husband, two of their kids, and my mother-in-law. She just turned 88, and it was her birthday celebration. I'll skip the family shots, but on the way out of the restaurant I snapped a couple of their garden:
P1000987.JPG
P1000986.JPG

The wife splurged a little for dinner last night. After grilling, we ate two, and I had the third today for lunch. I think she said these were ¥2000 each..., but some of the largest/plumpest nodoguro ever:

P1010011 copy.jpg

I've been exploring something I'd call "entryways", usually with some flowers.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for with these. At first I thought it might be "situated flowers" or "flowers in situ".

Now, I think I'm looking for something typical but unique. Something that shows a Japan-ness, and that does so without resorting to festivals, temples, tourist sites, etc. Typical in that it shows classic Japan, unique in that it might be a good version of that classical image.

This album is just basic snaps--no editing, cropping, or color correction done yet. Straight from the camera, tho I do look at all of these with all kinds of editing in mind.

entrances, flowers - Google Photos

(Some pics there reveal my location, I'd prefer if that was not the focus of any comments.)

This was a really beautiful sakura tree. It was pretty much in the middle of bustling Nagoya city. Out of all the sakura trees I saw while I was in Japan this is probably one of my favorites.

The first castle I was able to visit in Japan. It was my first whole day in Japan and I would say using it to visit Nagoya castle was well worth it.

Thanks for sharing with us, @Petaris !

As you seem to have a keen interest in trains: if you make it to Kanto, don't miss the Railway Museum in Saitama. :)

Cool, thanks Thomas!

They are interesting to me as well but mainly we go for the kids, they have so much fun seeing the trains and being able to ride the steam engine train is kind of neat.

Back
Top Bottom