What's new

IT/design, teaching and academic roles in Japan

ChrisRyo

Registered
Hi Everyone,

Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction to potentially working in Japan in the coming year !

I'm a Japanese halfie living and working in Australia in some mixed junior teaching/academic Design roles in a local university for the last 3 years. I've been looking at moving over to the general Tokyo area next year but have been pretty anxious about finding work. What's the climate like for finding work in this area at the moment ?

My initial research has led me to believe that it's a very uphill struggle, with not much in the way of roles with any form of career development ... I'd be loathe to give up a currently good job for a risky entry into a potentially career irrelevant, dead end job in Japan next year !
Thankfully I'm a Japanese national so visa issues are non-existent. Anyone who can give me pointers or can tell me what my realistic chances are would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance !
Chris

Ratings
No idea about design jobs. Teaching is very competitive everywhere here. What exactly is your teaching experience, and what kind of degree do you hold? Most entry level teaching jobs are as you might expect: low level in eikaiwa or ALT positions. If you want more, you have to have a higher degree, more experience, and publications.

Yes, being half-Japanese obviates a need for a visa, but just curious here...how well do you speak, read, and write Japanese?

And, precisely when next year do you want to start work? Most jobs open in April.

ChrisRyo

Registered
Thanks for the reply!

My teaching experience is mainly in I.T and design, specifically Interaction Design, I have a masters and a bachelors.
My Japanese is pretty solid, on the cusp of fluent, it's more my vocab is rusty and my technical language needs a lot of work!
I was looking at moving around February, which I guess is a little early for the April intake ><