What's new

Is there a good translation of あなたを尊敬しています?

tokineko

Registered
12 Dec 2016
At first, I came up with `I'm in respect of you` because I knew `in awe of`. According to the internet, `in respect of` was reportedly the same as `with respect to` although I couldn't believe they were the same.

The next thing that came to my mind was `I'm in admiration of you`.
`I admire you` could work, but it doesn't capture the grammatical elements of the original sentence.

Does `I'm in admiration of you` make sense at all?
Does it make sense as a translation of あなたを尊敬しています?
Or, is there a better translation?

"I respect you."
"I admire you."

A good translation doesn't always "capture the grammatical elements of the original sentence."

"I respect you" would be the best translation. It's a sentence polite enough to be used speaking to your peers, kids, or even elders. "I adore you" is used mostly by lovers or to someone you find cute/adorable, and "I'm in awe of you" isn't commonly heard at all anymore.

Can you explain differences between 'I admire you` and `I'm in admiration of you`?
The difference between the two is "admire" is a verb, and "admiration" is a nown. But I believe the reason admire would be used more than admiration is lazyness, it requires less effort to say "I admire you" than it does to say "I'm in admiration of you."

Back
Top Bottom