What's new

Is Japanese From Zero a good series to learn Japanese?

mdchachi

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the course but it seems to be well regarded. I can't tell if it's truly free or not but if it is, you could give it a try.
It looks like the levels are from beginning to intermediate. Intermediate in this case is still grade school level I think.
A well-regarded textbook series you could look into is the Genki series. It's comprehensive and often used in universities.
And many people use it for self-study as well.

patricia2626

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the course but it seems to be well regarded. I can't tell if it's truly free or not but if it is, you could give it a try.
It looks like the levels are from beginning to intermediate. Intermediate in this case is still grade school level I think.
A well-regarded textbook series you could look into is the Genki series. It's comprehensive and often used in universities.
And many people use it for self-study as well.
what order do I start in genki series so only reading or do both readings and writing how writing works as I see there kana,hiragana,katakana as is there order for them?

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
First thing: learn Hiragana. Watch this video and begin writing these Hiragana:

Put everything else on the back burner while you learn how to write Hiragana from this video. (There are about 50 basic Hiragana.) If you have any questions about reading or writing Hiragana, please feel free to ask them here.

Do not study any other part of the Japanese language until you have mastered Hiragana.

Post a message here when you have learned your first five Hiragana!

Last edited:

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
Here is a cute children's video for learning the first five Hiragana.