What's new

Is it fine not to do pair work exercises?

Sultan

大学生
10 Nov 2015
I'm in the beginning of An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese book. I'm self studying, and pretty much okay with the online help, but I don't have a friend to do pair work exercises in live. Is it fine if I just skip these exercises?

I'm in the beginning of An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese book. I'm self studying, and pretty much okay with the online help, but I don't have a friend to do pair work exercises in live. Is it fine if I just skip these exercises?
I haven't been through that specific text, but in general, for texts that I studied when I wasn't in a class I just 'played' both sides of the conversation exchanges. Which is kind of dull and maybe not very useful, but, eh, it was there.

There's no rules when it comes to self-study though. If you want to play both sides to yourself, that's one way; if you want to ask for somebody to skype-call you and play the other side - or both sides in turn - that's another way; if you want to skip them, that's fine too, you just might have to make up the effort somewhere else. Oh, and of course, if you're paying a tutor for lessons then you should certainly insist that they take the time to play the easier side of the pair exercises at least. (Often there's one side that has set responses and one side that has fill-in-the-blank responses that take a little more effort. Obviously for good practice you want to take the more difficult side.)

I haven't been through that specific text, but in general, for texts that I studied when I wasn't in a class I just 'played' both sides of the conversation exchanges. Which is kind of dull and maybe not very useful, but, eh, it was there.

There's no rules when it comes to self-study though. If you want to play both sides to yourself, that's one way; if you want to ask for somebody to skype-call you and play the other side - or both sides in turn - that's another way; if you want to skip them, that's fine too, you just might have to make up the effort somewhere else. Oh, and of course, if you're paying a tutor for lessons then you should certainly insist that they take the time to play the easier side of the pair exercises at least. (Often there's one side that has set responses and one side that has fill-in-the-blank responses that take a little more effort. Obviously for good practice you want to take the more difficult side.)
Yeah, I did play both sides, too, and I also feel it's kinda dull.

Back
Top Bottom