What's new

Is it に or で to use with 反映される?

4 Apr 2014
I need to say something like こういった表現の選択で/に、ロシア人の者の見方が反映されています。And i'm a bit confused whether thing are reflected IN/AT something or BY something in Japanese? Probably both で and に are possible in different contexts, but i could not find any comprehensive answer so far.

Edit :

What are you trying to say exactly Lomasterさん?

に would mark the place where its being reflected

で、could add a nuance of "due to" "by"

Last edited:
Sorry, the edit time expired, I think I need a mod to join my posts in this case .
By "by" I do not mean the same thing as a "agent of passive" of 受身形 verbs ,ex: ほにゃらら「に」ほにゃらら「される」. In fact, I guess using that word in there wasnt really a good move sorry for the confusion .

に indicates what reflects Russian people's way of thinking, and で is for "means" by which the thing reflects it (= Russian people's way of thinking).
e.g.
トルストイの小説には、こういった表現の選択で、ロシア人のの見方が反映されています。
Russian people's way of thinking is reflected in Tolstoy's novels by the choice of these types of expressions.

By "by" I do not mean the same thing as a "agent of passive" of 受身形 verbs ,ex: ほにゃらら「に」ほにゃらら「される」. .
Now i'm puzzled if a situation in which the agent of passive does not coincide with the surface of reflection. 彼女の顔が水鏡に反映されている。Water surface is both the agent by which girl's face is being passively reflected and the surface in which it is reflected.

に indicates what reflects Russian people's way of thinking, and で is for "means" by which the thing reflects it
Thanks. That's the answer i was looking for. Since my case implies incidental choice of specific expressions by Russians themselves, i'll stick with に.

Also it was counter-intuitive to use 物 with 人. I think i should stick to hiragana もの for the time being.

I only noticed too late that my answer would cause more harm than help .

I cant give you a proper explanation as to "why" this happens but.

with 反映 you gotta be careful.

反映 in The passive form will frequently mark the place where its being reflected with に.

With で/における being frequently picked to represent "via"/"by/"due to"

Sorry for The trouble

Lomaster san,

A bit late to the party, but I think in this case it's "de" but more because of what you're saying in the sentence, rather than whether hanei sareru takes a "de" or a "ni."

by means of/conveyance = de hyougen sareru
in (almost like a direct object) = ni hyougen sareru

For example (artistic paintings and expressions)

この世の無常がこの表現で反映されています。
kono yo no mujou ga kono hyougen de hanei sareru = the transient nature of the world [ga] is reflected *by* [de] this expression

hyougen *de* = by means of/due to/through (this) expression

taking the "hyougen" completely out of the sentence...
kono yo no mujou *ga* hanei sareru = the transient nature of this world is reflected
(by what? add "hyougen de" back in and you see it's reflected by "this expression")

mujou is the subject (marked by particle "ga") and hyougen is the conveyance (how, marked by the particle "de") something is reflected.

But...to add a wrinkle, there's no "where/in" (e.g. a specific place where something is reflected) in the sentence. But, if the sentence were:

kono yo no mujou ga (kono) hyougen ni hanei sareru = transience is reflected *in* [ni] this expression (not "by" this expression, but "in" this expression)

So, then there would be a ni between hyougen and hanei sareru.

Or, to extend the sentence (similar to yours) we can use de and ni. "De" after hyougen to state "by means of" and "ni" after kono kaiga (in this painting) to state exactly where...
kono hyougen de yo no mujou ga kono kaiga ni hanei sareru = _by means of this expression_ [hyougen de], the transient nature of the world [mujou ga] is _reflected in_ this painting [kaiga ni hyougen sareru].

kono hyougen de yo no mujou ga kono kaiga ni hanei sareru
Nice example of both に and で being used with 反映.
As i side note, your post would be easier to comprehend if it wasn't entirely in romaji.

Lomaster-san,

So, just for my future reference...full on 感じ仮名交じり文 is best for posting here?

So, just for my future reference...full on 感じ仮名交じり文 is best for posting here?
As far as you meant 漢字仮名交じり文 - absolutely ;)
At least i think it is preferred by most of the members here.

Back
Top Bottom