What's new

Is experiencing Japanese culture by yourself something interesting for you?

What do you like the most?

• Noh theater

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ikebana

• Calligraphy

• Total voters

Sebastien

Registered
25 Jan 2017
Hello,

I am new on JRF and wanted to ask the members their interest in the Japanese culture. What kind of experience would you like to test in Japan?

Currently living in Tokyo, I am French and launching a Kickstarter project to help visitors discover the traditional culture. My Taiken - Japanese cultural experiences by Sebastien — Kickstarter

If you have some time please check the project page and thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Sebastien

None of the items on your survey list hold any interest for me, nor have I done any of them (for that reason). Been here many years now. Just happy with daily life and my family. If you insist on some Japanese "culture" that I like, it would have to be use of tatami mats, bathing in onsen/sento, eating more healthily with lots of tiny portions.

I've been to Noh and Kabuki (and find the latter one quite interesting), but agree with Glenski on the rest: not a lot of room for "culture" in daily life. Good luck with your project!

Hello Glenski, Thomas,
Thank you for your feedback I appreciate, I forgot to add "traditional" in the title. I think that an approach through traditional culture can overcome some communication/understanding issues foreign people have when visiting/doing business/ or living in Japan by learning key concepts of the Japanese culture and experience some arts with high level teachers and masters.
Thank you for the kind words and enjoy the weekend!

Why must a person experience traditional Japanese culture with high level teachers and masters just to "overcome some communication/understanding issues? If they don't get that experience, but they still take part in (view) the traditional culture (examples, please!), don't you think they can do that, too? Sure, a "master" can impart knowledge and wisdom far beyond what a person could get normally, but if you're interested in kabuki, you can read up on it prolifically first, right? How much nuance do you think is needed to overcome those issues (and just what are they)? If people learn the key concepts, they don't need a master.

Thank you for the feedback, that is a lot of "if" ;)

There are lots of people all over the world more knowledgeable than even Japanese people themselves regarding Japanese traditional culture. I agree that reading on it prolifically is great.

As I mentioned, this is not an absolute requirement, but I think it can help overcome parts of the language and cultural barriers. Being in a relaxing atmosphere, in a great place with History, with a knowledgeable person can help you feel and understand a lot more than what you can get with books. That is why the concept of the project is "Taiken".

You have been living in Japan/ Hokkaido for a long time so you have a lot of experience. Most of the tourists or business people come here for the first time, and with the increasing number of visitors towards the Olympics, mainstream platforms will grow very quickly. My Taiken's objective is to offer a proper experience environment, supporting local initiatives as well to create a virtuous circle of discovery and appreciation.

Am I the only one who has noticed this project is actually a business?

Hello Mike, if you only see a "business" in the details of the Kickstarter project, well unfortunately I failed to do my job to promote My Taiken. Thank you for the feedback.

Hello Mike, if you only see a "business" in the details of the Kickstarter project, well unfortunately I failed to do my job to promote My Taiken. Thank you for the feedback.

Do you not intend to receive payment for arranging these cultural experiences?

I love Japanese culture. I've been in Japan for close to 10 years, 99% of my friends and clients are Japanese and work for a Japanese company where I'm the only westerner yet I've never done a single one of these.

Since you're French, let's put it this way. Imagine asking this quiz to foreigners in France.

What do you like the most?
1- Savate
2- Mime show
3- Balet
4- Escrime
5- Other

No way you're getting less than 99% "other" unless no one bothers to answer.

Back
Top Bottom