What's new

Is colour blindness a problem in the japanese workplace?

Zukias

Registered
30 Mar 2016
I'm red-green colour blind and it's not a problem where I'm from (UK) provided your main job focus doesn't require good colour vision. I've heard some countries are really **** for colour blind people even if the job doesn't require working with colours in any way so I'm wondering what Japan is like?
I am a full stack web developer and occasionally get involved with the UI but there's plenty of workarounds if I am required to design anything and I no longer have any issues with it. Usually I hate declaring it since people often don't understand it and assume I see in black & white and have not developed any workarounds so I don't declare it if it's not required. Has anyone ever been asked about colour vision in Japan? Do you think it'll be an issue to not declare it (and then get found out at some point)?

Last edited:
You might face some challenges but you've been living your whole life with color blindness and you seem to be doing alright. It shouldn't affect your job prospects or be an issue to bring up when you're being hired, unless they're directly asking you about stuff like this, but I would make sure my immediate team knows about it.

If you have a driver's license, you can get an international permit valid for 6 months I think. If your color blindness wasn't an issue in getting your license, it certainly won't affect your getting an international permit (which is just paperwork anyways)

I've never heard the topic brought up. If you have to work with colored text, it would obviously be a problem, but I don't know about your line of work. With driving, the first thing that comes to mind is traffic signals and their colors, but that is not a problem because the top is red and the bottom is green, just like (I presume) everywhere else. Beyond that, you deal with triangular red stop signs, and the shape and kanji are dead giveaways.

also will getting an international driving permit be an issue?

You may already know this, but just in case you don't...

You will need to take care of getting your IDL before you come here.

Back
Top Bottom