What's new

Introduction

Alex

後輩
8 Sep 2002
Hi Everyone,

Thanks, Thomas, for the kind welcome to this forum. My interest in Japan comes from two sorces, a dear Japanese friend and some of my students here in the U.S. You see, I'm an ESL instructor in California. The truth is that I an emerging from a close relationship with this Japanese man in which I fell in love and he wanted to be friends. It's a confusion and I'd like to learn more about the culture and the ways that the Japanese are the same and different from Americans (me). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

In the process of this education I hope to receive, it's going to be wonderful to get to know more people from a place that I find fascinating.

Alex

Hi Alex, welcome to the forum. I hope we'll be able to replace your confusion with clarity and fascination for Japan.
:)

What I want to say is feel free to ask, to post and to discuss. It's nice to have you on board!

Hi Alex🙂 and welcome to the board, lets hope we can all make you settle in and feel at home🙂

Welcome and yoroshiku Alex.

hehe, there's all kinds of topics here, I'm sure you'll find something useful.

Hi moyashi,

Thanks for the welcome. The people here seem to be very friendly. I like that. So, what is yoroshiku? I'm planning to begin Japanese classes this Saturday, but at this point my language ability is limited to food items and a couple of greetings. I'm looking forward to learning more!

Re: Yoroshiku

Originally posted by Alex
Hi moyashi,

Thanks for the welcome. The people here seem to be very friendly. I like that. So, what is yoroshiku? I'm planning to begin Japanese classes this Saturday, but at this point my language ability is limited to food items and a couple of greetings. I'm looking forward to learning more!

Yoroshiku is an idiomatic expression used in various situations. In very formal situations, you may see "douzo yoroshiku o-negai shimasu" which translates (poorly) as something like: "Please be nice to me" or "Please regard me favorably." Think of it as a "how do you do" or a sort of welcoming greeting.

I can't think of an exact english equivalent in meaning and usage. Darn.

@Alex

It's something that I've always missed at many forums. Too many trolls and such. So, picking up on Thomas's great start many of us try to at least greet new comers and keep the bickering to minimal levels.

We're all here for a similar reason ... our interest in Japan.

@ yoroshiku
the short version is "I'm depending on you." A slight polite fiction but it's nice to hear when people mean it.

I actually have to return the compliment to all of our terrific members and team leaders.
🙂

I am visiting about 15 fora on a regular basis, there's bickering and trolling galore. True, we're still a small community but so far no one here had to be "disciplined", warned or banned.

Great! It sounds like I've found the right place. I wish you could demonstrate to me how to pronounce "yoroshiku". I'm joining my Japanese friend for dinner tomorrow night. It would be fun if I could use it. Oh well, maybe I'll just ask him. Do you have any suggestions for ways I can enhance my Japanese language learning? I'm looking forward to it.

yo (as in yo-yo)
ro (row row row your boat)
shi (she is cute)
ku (coup de gras, or "ain't it coo'")

Note that the "i" in shiku is often underpronounced, so that it sounds like "shkoo"

There's probably a pronunciation guide - search the japanreference or google or something.

Hey thanks, Stradini! Maybe I'll try it on my friend tonight. We're going to a very authentic Japanese restaurant. We went once before and I noticed that there was no English anywhere.

So are any of you Americans who have lived in Japan? I'm thinking about teaching there, but I've heard that sometimes there are problems with some people. Any advise?

hehe, I'm an American living in Japan that has done the typical English Conversation routine at a variety of schools.

People who have problems are normally those that bring them along to Japan.

Some just find Japan different than they expected and end up going sour or burn out quickly. I've had my sour periods too but if you clear them you're set.

And of course if you go looking for trouble your bond to find it.

hehe, fire away your questions I'll try to help as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom