What's new

Internment card WW II ancestor

Debstar

Registered
Hi, I have a (to me) very important translation request. It concerns my ancestor.
I would like to know more about his life.

So here's the request: an internment card from World War II (I think 27th of july 1944, but I'm not sure if I read it right) for a Japanese camp. It says he was a corporal at the Dutch marine, it says where he lived and his date of birth but that's about all I understand.

Who can help me to translate:
- occupation
- place of capture
- random notes on the back of the card

I would be so thankful!

Here's the link to the card: Registratie Johannes van Doesburgh te (Japan) » Open Archieven

Ratings
place of capture: 瓜哇 Java

Notes on back:
September 14th, 1944 Depart for Malaya Internment Camp. Transferred to the authority of Malaya Internment Camp (#1).

From October 15th, 1945 to December 6th, 1945 (moved to?) Bakan Baru, and handed over to Allied Army

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,539
The last line on the back page is バカンバルニ於テ, thus, he was handed over to Allied Army in Pekanbaru.
(A quick google search says that バカンバル is the capital city of Riau province, Sumatra, so it refers to Pekanbaru.)

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
It may be possible that he was an employee of a shipping company (ashore) rather than a seaman, as there are other more specific terms in Japanese that refer to seamen.