What's new

Question Incomprehension's balloons in manga

Godot88

Registered
5 Aug 2018
Hello everyone, I wanted to ask you something that could be beyond your knowledge, and for this I apologize in advance.

I'd like to work on a thesis on how mangas in original language deform balloons to depict cases of lack of understanding. The cases examined are:

- gaijin who doesn't speak a good Japanese
- gaijin who speaks English or mother tongue and the Japanese listener doesn't understand
- Japanese who tries to speak in foreign language and ends up messing with it
Dialectal forms of Japanese are excluded. (eg Osaka dialect used by yakuza)

As an example I was given an extract of "Cooking Papa". (the strange balloon where it says "okkey ha") Unfortunately the Japanese Institute of Culture based in my country didn't give me any good help and I would like to know if you can think of some episode taken from manga or some idea on sites and forums in which I could ask for something like that.

Thank you for the availability and I apologize again for asking something a bit particular.

https://i.redd.it/d19a01y843e11.jpg

Probably this is the question.
how mangas in original language deform balloons to depict cases of lack of understanding

- gaijin who doesn't speak a good Japanese
broken Japanese written in katakana
from Bleach Vol.70 Chapter 637 Page 95 (well, not a foreigner but more likely a person/creature who can't speak any language yet, though)
Bleach.jpg

- gaijin who speaks English or mother tongue and the Japanese listener doesn't understand
gibberish written in alphabet, as in your example
correct or meaningless sentence written in uncommon original letters such like Cyrillic or Arabic alphabet
meaningless doodling such like just a combination of cursive or straight lines

- Japanese who tries to speak in foreign language and ends up messing with it
gibberish or partially transliteration of English or other languages written in katakana

@nice gaijin: Thank you for the welcome. And yes, the question is the one pointed out by Toritoribe.

@Toritoribe: The katakana one isn't themed with the thesis, I need examples where the balloon is unreadable as in my sample picture and the other ones you mentioned seems what I'm searching for. It would be very helpful if you could also mention me some title and some scene.

I've been reading so many examples like that so far, but I can't recall concrete scenes right now. Sorry for that. You must be able to find many examples in various genres of manga, I believe, since those expressions are quite commonly used.

Back
Top Bottom