What's new

in order to say stop doing someting

betterworld

Kouhai
Reaction score
If I want to say that "I'm going to stop listening it", will it be correct to say "聞くのをとめる" ? I saw that people use "やめる" somewhere, so it is correct to say that 聞くのをやめる but it's not correct to use 聞くのをとめる?What is the differences between them? Could you clear up it? Thank you in advance!

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
やめる can be applied only to the subject's action.
やめる can be used also for the future/unstarted action.

とめる can be applied to others' action.
とめる can be used also for the subject's action, but it's only for stopping the current/on-going action.

As for your example, 聞くのをやめる is correct. 聞くのをとめる sounds like you are going to stop someone else listening.

betterworld

Kouhai
Reaction score
やめる can be applied only to the subject's action.
やめる can be used also for the future/unstarted action.

とめる can be applied to others' action.
とめる can be used also for the subject's action, but it's only for stopping the current/on-going action.

As for your example, 聞くのをやめる is correct. 聞くのをとめる sounds like you are going to stop someone else listening.
Thanks Toritoribe. I want to ask one more thing. "やめる" has not the meaning of giving up forever for this situation, right? Let's say that I got bored of doing something and I don't think that I do it for a while. But for example after two days or a week, I am going to start to do it again. In this situation is "やめる" still correct? For example, 「勉強するのを一週間ぐらいやめる。」is it correct?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
"やめる" has not the meaning of giving up forever for this situation, right?
やめる can express "giving up forever". It totally depends on the context.
e.g.
もうこれ以上あのバンドの音楽を聞くのをやめる。耳が悪くなりそうだから。

Let's say that I got bored of doing something and I don't think that I do it for a while. But for example after two days or a week, I am going to start to do it again. In this situation is "やめる" still correct? For example, 「勉強するのを一週間ぐらいやめる。」is it correct?
Yes.