What's new

Improve your understanding of English and pronounciation

Dominik

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I recently read an article in the Scientific American Mind (Scientific American Mind Volume 25, Issue 4 - Scientific American in case you get a digital copy of the magazine, the article I am referring to is called 'How to Teach Old Ears New Tricks' on pages 24-25) magazine about how to teach native Japanese speakers to distinguish between English L and R sounds. Apparently, the human brain develops to distinguish between several different sounds you hear in a language at a very young age, that is, between 6 and 12 months of age. After that time, you will no longer be able to pick up these sounds easily, if they are not part of your native language. As is the case for L and R sounds for native Japanese speakers.
The article then describes an experiment carried out at Carnegie Melon University, which uncovered a method to teach adults how to distinguish between L and R sounds with reinforcement learning and immediate feedback to your responses. I have developed an app that uses the same principals as the Carnegie Melon University experiment to teach native Japanese speakers the ability to distinguish between English L and R sounds.
I have made a website for my app at LiRRiL - Learn to distinguish English L and R sounds and put a free version of the app on it. The app is brand new and I would be very grateful about any comments and improvements you could suggest to me. If there is a specific feature you want in the app, let me know and I will try my best to implement it for you for the next version.
Please post your feedback here or send me a private message. Thanks so much, I really appreciate your help!