What's new

I wish it wouldn't rain tomorrow

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Hello, native English speakers,
I think (a) would be all right. But how about (b) and (c)?
(a) I hope it won't rain tomorrow.
(b) I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.
(c) I wish it wouldn't rain tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

Hirashin

(a) and (b) are fine.
(c) is fine, but used in a subtley different situation to (a) and (b). (c) sounds like you already have an expectation of rain, and that you are expressing regret that the rain will upset your plans. It is similar to the regret expressed in the sentence, "I wish you wouldn't go". In both of these cases, the understanding is that the expected action will take place, and it will have a negative effect. The phrase expresses regret at the future action, or the outcome of the future action.

Maybe both B and C have some expectation that it will rain (or event) will happen.(A) seems to suggest no prior knowledge.
A difference between B and C the the degree of expectation and the degree of desire with C being the higher expectation of rain and the greater desire that it will not.

(c) I wish it wouldn't rain tomorrow.

All the points mentioned by previous posters make sense. However even after all the years I spent teaching English I so often come back to the same explanation ... (c) just sounds "odd" and I would be surprised to hear a native speaker say this.

Thank you for all the help, Majestic, Patrick, and Kyushuwoozy.
KyushuWoozy are you from Bali? I've been to the island. It was a beautiful place.
Hirashin

I disagree with KyushuWoozy on (c). I often use that phrase or similar. I wish it wouldn't rain tomorrow. I wish it wouldn't snow tomorrow. To me it's the most natural if the expected result is that it will do exactly what you don't want it to. In a situation where if it didn't you would be surprised.

Back
Top Bottom