What's new

I need some guidance.

Kova

Registered
21 Aug 2015
Hello everyone who is reading this,
I am trying to learn Japanese so i can (mainly) talk to my friends through skype who struggle with English, and also to understand the music, movies, anime, games, etc.
I was using a app called Human Japanese, which so far has taught me all the hiragana characters, but i am struggling to remember what the characters look like when i am trying to read anything in hiragana.

I have done some researching about hiragana, katakana, and kanji, and from what i understand, i should be learning hiragana and katakana before kanji.

What are some good methods for me to learn hiragana?

(Also, are there any japanese psp or pc games that would help me understand the language?)

Sorry if this a commonly asked question, if there is another post with the exact same question that i have, please just put a link in the comments for me. Thanks

You need to learn the language, not just the characters for writing it.

Standard Answer #1: Get a proper textbook. Take a class if at all possible.

You need to learn the language, not just the characters for writing it.

Standard Answer #1: Get a proper textbook. Take a class if at all possible.
What text books should i be looking for? Also are they expensive?
Id take a class, but I'm currently in high-school, grade 10.5 (failed a year, I'm grade 11 after first semester), and my school doesn't have Japanese as a course, are there any online courses I could take that are fairly cheap?

Writing Hiragana and Katakana would be better for you, rather than trying to remember them via an app. I would recommend 'Minna no Nihongo' and its translation book from Amazon, especially if you have a head start with learning Hiragana and Katakana. Of course using an app for vocabulary is a bit different - it certainly helps.

Last edited:
Thanks i'll check it out.
Writing Hiragana and Katakana would be better for you, rather than trying to remember them via an app. I would recommend 'Minna no Nihongo' and its translation book from Amazon, especially if you have a head start with learning Hiragana and Katakana. Of course using an app for vocabulary is a bit different - it certainly helps.
I'll check out that book as well, ive been remembering them from this "guide" by tofugu, where he helps you remember hiragana with things you can imagine them as, like how the hiragana character for "Ki" (き) looks like a key, and so far that has helped me remember hiragana, but i havent started katakana yet.

I saw someone saying they used a book called "Genki" for learning japanese, is that similar to this "Minna no Nihongo" book? If it is, which is better?

Thanks i'll check it out.

I'll check out that book as well, ive been remembering them from this "guide" by tofugu, where he helps you remember hiragana with things you can imagine them as, like how the hiragana character for "Ki" (き) looks like a key, and so far that has helped me remember hiragana, but i havent started katakana yet.

I saw someone saying they used a book called "Genki" for learning japanese, is that similar to this "Minna no Nihongo" book? If it is, which is better?
Personally I have only used 'Minna no Nihongo' - so I certainly recommend that - it is great for vocabulary and grammar, which is very important. I have heard a lot of good things about Genki - so I suppose it comes down to cost. ;)
Of course for learning to read and write, you can use 'Japanese for young people', which is a series of books that incorporates word games to help you learn quicker - and again tackles vocabulary. :)

Back
Top Bottom