What's new

How to traverse Japan as a non japanese speaking asian?

Mads

Registered
Reaction score
I'm worried because I've heard things about them getting really angry at you, ignoring you, throwing you out of their shop and yelling at you, because you don't speak japanese to them, when they expect you do, because you're asian.

So is there any way to avoid this, or some tips on how to at least not make them as angry

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
Where did you hear such nonsense?

Uncle Frank

SECURITY-you SPAM/we BAN
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Now days Japan had thousands of tourists from all over the world , including Asians. At worse they might first speak to you in Japanese , but would not react badly when you say you don't speak Japanese. Your time in Japan will be a pleasure for you , I'm sure. If you have any questions on travel, you may find the answer already posted here or feel free to ask for information , people here are very helpful.

Mads

Registered
Reaction score
#2 Mostly from an old friend of my family who was in 2002 or 2003

#3 Thanks, this eases my worries do you have any good sentence for me to break to them I don't speak japanese? Like do I say it in english or japanese?

Uncle Frank

SECURITY-you SPAM/we BAN
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Just before I went to Japan , I picked up an inexpensive phrase book that had how to pronounce words included. It had tons of helpful words that made life easier. If I didn't say something right , the Japanese person would look at my book and then understand. There are also lots of internet videos that are helpful in how to say useful phrases. I think you will find many Japanese will be able to help you using English and other languages enough to get by. I have not been back for a long time , so I will leave more detailed answers to other members to help you.

mdchachi

Staff member
Reaction score
#2 Mostly from an old friend of my family who was in 2002 or 2003

#3 Thanks, this eases my worries do you have any good sentence for me to break to them I don't speak japanese? Like do I say it in english or japanese?
That probably happened when your old friend of the family got drunk and disruptive somewhere. Or he's just making up bullcrap.

You can say nihongo wakarimasen. And you can add an additional sumimasen for good measure. And then try communicating in English or sign language or Google real-time translate.