What's new

How to say "It was an amazing experience"

GenjiMain

後輩
29 Jul 2018
Hi guys,

I want to say the phrase "I went to Japan and it was an amazing experience". I think the first part would be 日本に言って right? The second part I'm not sure; I don't have the vocabulary or the finesse to do the phrase justice. I don't want it to sound like the phrase of a 5 year old, like "I went to Japan and had fun" (日本にいって、楽しかったです). If someone could help me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

I think you probably want 行く, not 言う. ;)

I'm not very good at Japanese, but I would say something like this, I think:

日本に行くのが楽しかったです。

I'm sure someone will correct me if I made a mistake in that sentence.

日本に行きましたが、すごくよかったです。
日本に行きましたが、とてもいい経験でした。
とか・・・

And
日本に行ってきたんですが、素晴らしかったです。
日本に行ったんですが、素晴らしいところでした。
etc.

"Did something, and..." is not always translated as "~て、…" automatically. The translation varies deending on the context.
As for tense, the present form 行く expresses a past habit/repeated action in 日本に行くのが楽しかったです.

What is the meaning of が in these examples? It sounds odd if I think in English.
I went to Japan BUT it was awesome. As if this was contrary to expectations.
I must be missing another usage/meaning of が.

Thanks a lot for your help everyone. I will definitely use one of the phrases above. I have one more question. This is all in aid of an online application to head over to Japan which will be recorded. However, I don't what time of the day it will be viewed and I would like to say a greeting/intro my name in Japanese. Is there a greeting synonymous with こんにちは/こんばんは that works regardless of the time, or would it be acceptable for me to simply say something like"こんにちは、John です" as a simple intro?

Not sure if I've sufficiently explained what I mean here but any help would be appreciated. Thanks :D

I think こんにちは is perfectly acceptable. You don't have to take into account when the viewer will be listening. You can also say something like (本日)よろしくお願いします which is time-of-day neutral.

Hey guys I'm trying to figure out my final draft before I do the video. If someone could help me make sure it makes sense (and preferably sounds natural) I'd really appreciate it. This is what I have so far:

はじめまして、GenjiMainともうします。

さんねんまえぐらい、日本に行きましたが、とてもいい経験でしたから、日本ではたらきたいです。

私の趣味は、ゲームをしたり、ウェイトリフティングをしたり、そしてピアノを弾くです。よろしくおねがいします。

I'm almost positive the part about playing piano is wrong but I'm not sure how to end the sentence. Plz help!

Probably not completely correct but better would be
私の趣味は、ゲームをしたり、ウェイトリフティングをしたりして、そしてピアノを弾くことです。
but I don't think that works well because the hobby is not the one doing the action.
Maybe something like
私の趣味は、ゲームをしたり、ウェイトリフティングをしたりすることとピアノを弾くことです。
or
私の趣味は、ゲームをすることやウェイトリフティングやピアノを弾くことです。

Hey guys I'm trying to figure out my final draft before I do the video. If someone could help me make sure it makes sense (and preferably sounds natural) I'd really appreciate it. This is what I have so far:

はじめまして、GenjiMainともうします。

さんねんまえぐらい、日本に行きましたが、とてもいい経験でしたから、日本ではたらきたいです。

私の趣味は、ゲームをしたり、ウェイトリフティングをしたり、そしてピアノを弾くです。よろしくおねがいします。

I'm almost positive the part about playing piano is wrong but I'm not sure how to end the sentence. Plz help!
初めまして、GenjiMainと申します。
三年ほど前に日本に行ったことがあるのですが、とても素晴らしいところでしたので、日本で働きたいと思っています。
私の趣味は、ゲームやウェイトリフティングをしたり、ピアノを弾いたりすることです。(or more simply ゲームやウェイトリフティングやピアノです.)
どうぞよろしくお願いします。

There is no problem to use から there. Both から and ので indicate the cause/reason of the main clause, i.e, both mean "because". I chose ので since the sentence is written in polite forms. ので sounds more polite than から, so it's preferred in polite sentences.

There is no problem to use から there. Both から and ので indicate the cause/reason of the main clause, i.e, both mean "because". I chose ので since the sentence is written in polite forms. ので sounds more polite than から, so it's preferred in polite sentences.

That's what I mean. I should've used the polite form.

Regarding とがある, I was under the impression prefacing this with a timestamp was inappropriate. Why is 三年ほど前 appropriate here?

ほど sounds more polite/formal than ぐらい, similar to ので vs. から.

The particle に is necessary at the end of the phrase for the word order さんねんまえぐらい. Incidentally, に is optional for さんねんぐらいまえ.

Back
Top Bottom