What's new

How should I book my flights for a 140 day stay in Japan (go to Korea after 70 days)

gaijinblaze

Registered
12 Jul 2014
Edit:I am not trying to stay in Japan for 90 days straight! After 70 days I am going to go to Korea and then come back to Japan. I'll stay for another 70 days in Japan and then I will come back to the US.
I am going to japan for 140 days and I am leaving in mid august. I am trying to figure out the most efficient way to book my flights and it would help me if you guys could answer these questions.
  • How reliable is travelling to Korea to extend a visa for an African American male
  • If Korea is a good idea how long should I stay to not seem suspicious (or does it not make a difference)
  • Do I need a return flight ticket when going through customs
  • If I do need a ticket, will a ticket to Korea suffice?
Also for those who stayed in Japan for more than 90 days on a tourist visa could you share what you did to get another tourist visa?

Last edited:
OP, you know how there are many countries which are very lax about rules and paperwork?

That's not Japan.

I don't know much about visa waivers etc., I'm here with a different status, but I can tell you that whatever the rules are will probably be followed to the letter. I'd really look into the specifics and not assume anything, especially anything which seems like a loophole, if I were you.

Not if you're an American. Highly unlikely.

There is no such thing as a tourist visa for Americans anyway. It's a visa waiver, good for only 90 days. Don't overstay!

Why would you respond to a post without reading it? You didn't answer a single question I asked -__-

I'll add some information to my post since I might not be very clear.

You definitely were not "very clear" at all. I did read your original post, and what little information it contained posed a risk to you of deportation and fines. That's why I responded.

Next time be more clear. Oh, and 70 + 60 is 130, not 140.

Heck, who knows whether immigration will be kind to you or not on your proposed second visit? To them, if you return very shortly after a stay like 70 days, they might think you are up to something. Like Wonko wrote, Japan is not a country to fool around with when it comes to immigration matters, no matter how innocent your motives are.

And there is still no "tourist visa" for Americans, black or otherwise.

To answer a couple of your questions directly, though, instead of just giving you some sound advice before you plan anything...

1. Mid-August is Obon season, when ticket prices and accommodation prices run very high.

2. Without a real visa, you will need to show the airline, not immigration or customs, that you have a planned/paid exit, whether to return to the States or go elsewhere.

3. Yes, that includes to Korea.

You definitely were not "very clear" at all. I did read your original post, and what little information it contained posed a risk to you of deportation and fines. That's why I responded.
Next time be more clear. Oh, and 70 + 60 is 130, not 140.
Heck, who knows whether immigration will be kind to you or not on your proposed second visit? To them, if you return very shortly after a stay like 70 days, they might think you are up to something. Like Wonko wrote, Japan is not a country to fool around with when it comes to immigration matters, no matter how innocent your motives are.
And there is still no "tourist visa" for Americans, black or otherwise.
To answer a couple of your questions directly, though, instead of just giving you some sound advice before you plan anything...
1. Mid-August is Obon season, when ticket prices and accommodation prices run very high.
2. Without a real visa, you will need to show the airline, not immigration or customs, that you have a planned/paid exit, whether to return to the States or go elsewhere.
3. Yes, that includes to Korea.

I understand that there is not actually a tourist visa (there is an agreement between countries). What I'm really trying to say is will they let me in for another 90 days.

You are right about Obon my ticket is way too much money.
If they accept my flight to Korea as a way out I think I should be find because on my way back FROM Korea I will have a ticket for leaving japan and going back to U.S.

Thank you for answering.

This may not be my place since I've never been to japan/ am not Japanese but I don't see how I'm "fooling around" (you aren't the first person to say that I am). The rule is 90 days per visit and I leave after 70 and return for another 70 then leave for good. The rule does not say 90 days per year, which they very much could've made a rule but chose not to. My perception was they made it that way to provide a level of flexibility.

But what I am hearing is it is more like I am deceiving them (which unsettles me). I plan on calling immigration tomorrow to see their opinion on the issue. I'll come back with a reply.

It's not that you're deceiving them, it's about the high likelihood that you'll be suspected of deceit. The Korea trick has traditionally been used by people trying to work illegally by stringing together multiple visa waivers. Therefore, Immigration will naturally be suspicious of anyone who stays close to the maximum visa waiver length time, then comes back in again after a quick trip to somewhere nearby with the stated intent for staying for another longish period of time.

You don't have an automatic right to enter, visa waiver agreement or not, technically in the rules or not. They can turn you down on your first entry to the country, never mind the second, at their discretion. By staying for more than two months on your first arrival, you're already in the long tail for visa waivers - they'll look at you longer than they would if you were one of the mass of people arriving for a couple of weeks of sightseeing or business meetings or whatever. If you're back for a second, even more so.

You will not be able to get a guarantee prior to arrival that you will get let through. There are no guarantees. For all you know you'll end up with an immigration official who has had a really bad day and is just itching to spread some misery around (I always get these guys at US immigration, I swear).

If you're not planning on "deceit" you are planning on "gaming the system". That you're here asking the question at all is proof enough you're well aware that is what you're doing and that there is a danger you'll not get away with it.

Permission to enter the country is ALWAYS at the discretion of the examining Immigration officer, so for us or anybody else to tell you a straight up "yes" or "no" answer would be irresponsible.

Japan is a small country. They'll naturally wonder what the hell you didn't have time to visit in 70 days here plus wonder why you had to dash out and back in again to see it when you could have stayed another 20 days on your first visit, which should have been more than ample time to see whatever it was. So, yeah, it's obvious you're gaming the system to come in on visa waivers for a period of stay which would normally require a visa. They'll want to know what the hell you're up to.

So.....what the hell are you up to?

All good, clear points made by the others here. Read them closely and digest what they are all trying to say. We are very clear about the fact that you want to stay longer than 90 days (for whatever reason you may have). As mentioned by everyone, it's immigration that will not be so accepting. I doubt that you'll even get a straight answer from them. They'll just quote rules that say you have 90 days, period,, and not volunteer any loopholes or ways around the system so that you can stay longer. Why would they? It's not in their interests to do so. They police the comings and goings of us foreigners.

Now, since the topic of your thread is essentially -- "How can I book flights and such in order to stay 130-140 days total?" -- I think Mike's question is a fair one. That is, why do you want to stay so long on vacation?

When I was traveling around, I went to Japan for close to three months, then flew to China and stayed there for about 5 months, then returned to Japan for exactly 90 days, then jumped on a ferry to Korea. I didn't return to Japan for another 6 months after that. My travel dates were spaced out so I didn't exceed the 180 days allowed in a year, and I never overstayed the 90 days allotted.

I was traveling almost exclusively on one-way tickets, since I wasn't entirely sure when I'd be moving on and I didn't want to overpay for my tickets by buying them too far in advance. I've heard about this requirement to have a departing flight at the time of arrival, but I've never actually encountered any trouble. If anyone asked me, I told the truth that I was planning to take a ferry, and intended to leave around a certain date. I do have a history of living in/traveling through Japan and have ties to the country that might make me less suspicious than the average traveler, so I can't guarantee anyone else would have the luck I did. Immigration officers are given a lot of authority and can bar entry for a number of reasons, so you're always taking a risk when traveling on visa waivers.

Technically it's an onward ticket or proof of funds for one (they may not have explicitly asked). The length of time spent out of the country also makes a difference - if OP was planning to stay in Korea for five months, he'll probably be okay. If he's planning to take two days, turn around and come back, he's potentially on thin ice. It might be okay, it might not.

At times airlines have been known to demand to see an onward ticket (not just for Japan, a general exercise in CYA).

Here's what the Embassy of Japan in the UK says:
Q: Do I need to show my return flight ticket to the immigration officer at border control when I wish to enter Japan as a tourist?
A: We do not have the authority to answer questions regarding the necessary documentation for immigration inspection because it remains at the discretion of the Japanese Immigration Bureau, Ministry of Justice. We strongly advise, however, that you carry documentation proving your intention to leave Japan when you finish your stay, such as a return flight ticket, as well as documents proving your planned activities and funds for your stay to ensure that the immigration inspection proceeds as smoothly as possible.

Back
Top Bottom