What's new

How much kanji must I know?

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
Anywhere from zero to a couple thousand. It depends on what you'll be doing.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
What sort of school?

Are you just asking out of curiosity? Are you going to attending school in Japan?

Worry about learning the LANGUAGE. Learning the kanji will happen in conjunction with that, and is pretty useless without it.

Ratings
It's not a particularly good advertisement for the school (did somebody get to the sig before me?). It's interesting how these posteriorly obtained numbers are always so nice and round.

The absolute best thing you could do is to get out of your head the idea that there's a single number that represents "the kanji I know". For some kanji you might only recognise one or two words that use them and that will be enough (e.g. 挨拶 is a useful word, the kanji in it are not widely used otherwise). For others you might know how to write the kanji by hand, read a wide range of words that use it, and make a fairly good educated guess at how it is read/what meaning it lends in unfamiliar words.

Your personal interests and reasons for learning should guide what kanji/vocabulary you learn and other things like whether you put much time into learning to write by hand.