What's new

Hollywood copies Japan

moyashi

後輩
15 Apr 2002
- Shoot out at OK Coral = 7 Samurai, Kurosawa
- Magnificent 7 = errr ???? Yojimbo (film title or story was about a Yojimbo), Kurosawa
- Speed = Shinkansen ??? (some 1975 movie with shinkansen blah blah as the title), I don't know the director
- The Ring = Ring

- Mutant Morfant Mutant Rangers (or some other unspeakable name like that) = 10 Ranger, Kaku Ranger or one of the blah blah Ranger series.

Korea is also having fun coping TV shows and movies from Japan.

This was totally unexpected for me. I have never thought of redoing Japanese movies, I bet that over the next few years more and more stories will be copied. Time to cash in is NOW! before too many hawks tie up all the companies.

I thought Magnificent 7, Battle beyond the stars, and a few others were remakes of seven samurai....
Fist full of dollars and Last Man Standing was remakes of Yojimbo....
and bits of Star Wars were taken from some of Kurosawa movies...but then Hollywood is now in remake syndrome, so.... :eek:
and they said J-folks lacked imagination... :eek:

den4 :O

Oh the Japanese are very creative. It's just that the things and creativity is just un-suitable for most American audiences. Just take a look at Robotech. It's based off of Macross. The reason it gained such popularity is that a main character, Roy Folker, died.

The US during the late 50's I believe introduce unsuitable content laws into the cartoon/comic business so that even today G.I.Joe has only androids dieing and purple/pink blood. Heck, even Batman pushes a moral story line. While the orginal Dark Knight in the DC world is ver sinister.

So, sorry Japanese creativity will have to stay on this side of the ocean for a bit longer.

Trust me, they are very creative. Heck, some of it just blows my mind.

i was shocked and angry when hollywood re-made 'Ring'. Arrogant f*ckers. the film was great as it was. Will they ever learn????

Hollywood is making their own version of the Japanese movie Shall we Dance.

I also heard that About Schmidt was based on a Japanese story as well. I don't know if that's true or not, but when you think about the protagonist's relationship with his family and his job, he does seem very much like a typical Japanese salaryman.

thats how we americans (sadly its true I live in america :'() get all of our movies. We just take them from you guys. If you were to stop making them we wouldnt have any :). Were even remaking Ju-On now. Look it up there is trailers on it.

lol and they've also remade ju-on.
the grudge starring sarah michelle gellar.
saw the preview before "hero"
icky icky

and lets not forget dark water (Hideo Nakata, same as ringu)... can you believe he is directing ring 2 (american version)? as if the japanese one wasn't disapointment enought...

jeisan said:
lol and they've also remade ju-on.
the grudge starring sarah michelle gellar.
saw the preview before "hero"
icky icky

Ugghh! Give me a break, "I know what you did last summer" didn't even scare me and I never really did watch just a single episode of "Buffy.."

I found some other Jap films due for remakes:

Turn - horror
Ikiru - horror
Chaos - horror
Kairu - horror (To be directed by Wes Craven. Hmm, this I gota see...)
Ghost Actress (aka Don't Look Up) - horror
After Life - drama
Sky High - drama

From what I've been reading, I gather that Hollywood is on the remake path. They are not only making remakes of Jap films but Korean and Hongkong films as well.

m477 said:
I also heard that About Schmidt was based on a Japanese story as well. I don't know if that's true or not, but when you think about the protagonist's relationship with his family and his job, he does seem very much like a typical Japanese salaryman.

Yeah, I can see him as a Japanese salary man too! :D I didn't know that About Schmidt was a Japanese original....I only thought that Japanese horror was remade in Hollywood...guess not.

I have heard that Ju-on (american version) was supposed to be ok, but judgements later from me, as I haven't seen it yet. I am looking forward to seeing it.
:)

Well, I saw the trailer for "The Grudge" on TV the other day. I have to admit that from what little I saw, it looked interesting. It might be worth a looksee when it comes out, on Halloween I understand.

moyashi said:
Korea is also having fun coping TV shows and movies from Japan.

Yeah, ture. i was looking for One Missed Call the other day and I found this Korean version of it. They even used the same or same looking mobile. :eek:

Hollywood copies movie from many different countries, and other countries (including Japan sometimes) copy Hollywood. It's nothing new, and will continue as long as there is money to be made.

It's too bad that the average US viewer doesn't try watching movies that are in other languages. I think if they just gave it a shot, it would open up a whole new world of great cinema out there!

DVD's are actually helping a little bit, as it's easier to aquire movies from other countries these days. And at least movies like "Hero" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" have found some success in the US, even though they are subtitled (although funded by Hollywood).

DVDaholic said:
Hollywood copies movie from many different countries, and other countries (including Japan sometimes) copy Hollywood. It's nothing new, and will continue as long as there is money to be made.
Excellent post!

flashjeff said:
Well, I saw the trailer for "The Grudge" on TV the other day. I have to admit that from what little I saw, it looked interesting. It might be worth a looksee when it comes out, on Halloween I understand.

Yeah! I can't wait to see it...I have read about the American version, and it sounds interesting. 🎈

Well, I went to see "The Grudge" the other day. The reviews were less than kind, and it didn't do well at the box office, but, without giving too much away, I thought it was fairly good and spooky, though it was hard to look at Sarah Michelle Gellar without thinking of Buffy (The horrors of typecasting). Now I wanna see the original and compare notes!

flashjeff said:
Well, I went to see "The Grudge" the other day. The reviews were less than kind, and it didn't do well at the box office, but, without giving too much away, I thought it was fairly good and spooky, though it was hard to look at Sarah Michelle Gellar without thinking of Buffy (The horrors of typecasting). Now I wanna see the original and compare notes!

Oh no! You haven't seen the original yet? You should have watched the original first. :) And then watched the American version, and..compare after that.

HEHE...anyway, too late now.I hope you like the original version....because the original is very spooky, the sound when the ghost walked still gives me the creeps!!! (I haven't seen the American version yet).

Eve said:
Kill all americans!!(J/K) damn stop copying -.-

Maybe Americans should develop such a weak sense of national identity that they institute an American content law. That'll put a stop to it!

Back
Top Bottom