松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
正真子福本(or 奈?)??家作

That's a poorly made fake inscription.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
We seem to be getting a lot of fake sword inquiries these days. Has the fake yosegaki boom passed?

Amanaman

後輩
Reaction score
Here is what the complete fake one looks like for anyone who needs information / reference.

Attachments

Amanaman

後輩
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
The first one is 正真子福本兼房作 Masazaneshi Fukumoto Kanefusa-saku. I wouldn't immediately consider this a fake because it also looks like it has the Showa stamp on that tang, indicating a WW2 arsenal blade. The choppy inscription is typical of WW2 Seki blades.

Last edited:

Amanaman

後輩
Reaction score
Oh cool. That's good news. Thank's and I will provide a like for the input. I will take pictures of the other and post them as well to see if is not a fake as well.

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
The other one - I would say 正義則貞 Masayoshi Norisada, but I can find no other swords with this name when I search for it, so that sends alarm bells off.
The first one, Kanefusa, turns up a few hits on auction sites, and I found one registration certificate with this name on it. Normally, if I get nothing but auction site hits, it tends to mean that a suspicious name is getting reflected back in the hall of mirrors of auction sites. Usually you would want to see the name appear in a reference guide or appear on the sword being sold from a reputable dealer. So I am not 100% convinced the first sword is genuine, but the Showa stamp (it has the character 昭 inside a cherry-blossom) indicates the sword was made in an arsenal. These aren't normally faked because they are not worth as much as antique "samurai swords" (for want of a better word). WW2 arsenal swords are not traditionally-made, but collectors of militaria like them. Look on the site below for more info. Yours looks like it has had an amateur restoration job done on it. The sword is OK, but the scabbard is a very damaged WW2 scabbard, and the pommel/tsuka and other fittings are not WW2 fittings.
Military Swords of Imperial Japan (Guntナ)

Amanaman

後輩
Reaction score
Wow great information. Thanks so much everyone for taking the time with the help in identification.

Amanaman

後輩
Reaction score
Any information is greatly appreciated. I know deciphering these things is quite a pain

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, sorry, I've never thought the swordsmith was not so good at inscription, so I didn't even search it.:facepalm: