What's new

Help with Japanese?

arbalasquide

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone willing to help me learn Japanese through Skype?

I already know hiragana, katakana, very little grammar, and some kanji.

I'll be reading Genki I and would love it if a native or fluent speaker of Japanese could help me teach it.

JustinIs18

Sempai
Reaction score
Anyone willing to help me learn Japanese through Skype?

I already know hiragana, katakana, very little grammar, and some kanji.

I'll be reading Genki I and would love it if a native or fluent speaker of Japanese could help me teach it.

Heres some apps you can get, it doesn't require another human being. Japanese Learning Essentials - Android Apps on Google Play There are apps on the app store if you type in 'Learn Japanese'

Reaction score
Apps like that are not substantially different (although usually inferior to) using a textbook. The best they can offer is some audio practice and perhaps a weak flashcard system. You're probably better off using Genki's audio CD and Erin's challenge for audio practice, and a quality SRS program like Anki or Memrise for your flashcards.

Also, I hope that you're not affiliated with the program you cited because it would be a violation of the forum rules to plug your product in that way if you are.

To the OP, as for finding a tutor, you will usually have to pay. A number of people I know have been happy with tutors found at JOI JOI Learn Japanese Online ... I've never used the tutors myself, although I have taken advantage of the blogs the tutors post for some reading/listening practice. If you can reach a minimally functional level, you could probably find someone via lang-8.com who would skype with you (the site is about written language exchange, but if you make a post expressing an interest in skype you may find someone, other people have). You can also simply google around for 'language exchange', there have been a number of sites over the years using that phrase to describe finding conversation partners and/or penpals for foreign language learning, but I don't know what's currently out there.

JustinIs18

Sempai
Reaction score
Apps like that are not substantially different (although usually inferior to) using a textbook. The best they can offer is some audio practice and perhaps a weak flashcard system. You're probably better off using Genki's audio CD and Erin's challenge for audio practice, and a quality SRS program like Anki or Memrise for your flashcards.

Also, I hope that you're not affiliated with the program you cited because it would be a violation of the forum rules to plug your product in that way if you are.

To the OP, as for finding a tutor, you will usually have to pay. A number of people I know have been happy with tutors found at JOI JOI Learn Japanese Online ... I've never used the tutors myself, although I have taken advantage of the blogs the tutors post for some reading/listening practice. If you can reach a minimally functional level, you could probably find someone via lang-8.com who would skype with you (the site is about written language exchange, but if you make a post expressing an interest in skype you may find someone, other people have). You can also simply google around for 'language exchange', there have been a number of sites over the years using that phrase to describe finding conversation partners and/or penpals for foreign language learning, but I don't know what's currently out there.
Right now I got this http://www.worldlanguage.com/ProductMediumBoxShots/109936.jpg I'm not just using the apps, I'm using a ton of resources!

madphysicist

先輩
Reaction score
You can also simply google around for 'language exchange', there have been a number of sites over the years using that phrase to describe finding conversation partners and/or penpals for foreign language learning, but I don't know what's currently out there.
The one I use to find Japanese people to talk to on LINE is interpals.net - the main advantage is the sheer number of users there, there's always someone to chat with. And some of them are just looking for foreigners to chat to and are happy not to learn much themselves. But there are plenty of similar sites around. I agree OP needs to get to basic communication level before it's really going to help though.

To OP, there are also videos on Youtube with native speakers explaining various grammar concepts at beginner level, have you tried checking them out? That's more effective than getting a random person with no teaching experience to "tutor" you in my opinion.