What's new

Help understanding meaning of a short dialogue

PetCal23

Registered
29 Mar 2017
Hi,

Here's a very brief dialogue that I am having trouble interpreting the meaning of. The ???? are where I am having trouble. I will take a guess at them.

早く片付けなさい。<- Please clean it up quickly. (Clean it up already)
わかってるって。今やろうって思ったのに。<-I got it. ????
いつもそう言うだけじゃない。<- You always say that (but never actually do it).
だった、いつもそう思ってる時に言うから。<- ????

わかってるって。今やろうって思ったのに。 - I got it. I am planning on doing it now...
だった、いつもそう思ってる時に言うから。- But its because whenever I think it I say it. ???

Thanks in advance.

わかってるって。今やろうって思ったのに。 - I got it. I am planning on doing it now...
わかってる is not the same as わかった "I got it". The speaker is objecting, "I already understand (I have to clean it up)."
のに shows that the speaker is irritated. そう言うんだから or something like that is omitted after のに.

だった、いつもそう思ってる時に言うから。- But its because whenever I think it I say it. ???
a typo: だっ
This だって is not "but". だって~から means "because."
The subject of 言う is "you", not "I".

Thanks for the help. I understand it a bit better but I am still confused about the
わかってる。What is the grammatical structure that this falls into and how is it explained?

わかって(い)る is the present state. The speaker B says they already know/understand they should do so before the speaker A (mother?) says it, not "got it" after her saying it (of course they might just insist so as an excuse).

How can you be working on N2 and not recognize 〜ている, even with the い missing?

Mike Cash,
I understand the meaning of わかってる。The nuance attached the the って at the end is what I didn't understand from toritoribe's explanation. This sort of threw me off, thinking there was something I had misinterpreted. わかっている、わかった I get it, I got it.

So just to clarify:

"今やろうって思ったのに" would be "I will do it now" (implying an irritated tone).

What about:
"いつもそう言うだけじゃない" = You always say that (but never actually do it)
"いつもそう思ってる時に言うから" = I don't know what this means. My best guess was stated above, but I think it isn't correct.

I understand the meaning of わかってる。The nuance attached the the って at the end is what I didn't understand from toritoribe's explanation.
Your translation "I got it" showed that you actually didn't get the difference between わかった and わかってる. That's why I explained about わかってる. As for って at the send of the sentence, it's originally from a quotation particle, but works as a kind of sentence final particle, expressing complaining something like "I know, so you don't need to say it!".

"今やろうって思ったのに" would be "I will do it now" (implying an irritated tone).
Although(= のに) I already decided/thought I was just going to do it (nevertheless, you said that).

What about:
"いつもそう言うだけじゃない" = You always say that (but never actually do it)
Yes, that's right, so I didn't mention your initial translation.

"いつもそう思ってる時に言うから" = I don't know what this means. My best guess was stated above, but I think it isn't correct.
I already pointed out your misinterpretation.
The subject of 言う is "you", not "I".

Thanks for the help. I understand it a bit better but I am still confused about the
わかってる。What is the grammatical structure that this falls into and how is it explained?

I understand the meaning of わかってる

I can't imagine what led me to think you didn't understand わかってる and the 〜ている construction....

You said nothing about your problem being the って

This is a contracted expression deriving from the quotative と言えば. The context and irritated tone remove the need to actually voice the entire 「わかっている」と言えばわかっている

Word your questions to say what you actually want to ask about and it will go a long way toward reducing confusion.

Back
Top Bottom