What's new

help translating writing on back of photo

Alan65

Registered
9 Jun 2017
889_002.jpg

can anyone help to translate this hand-writing? it's on the back of a photo of an early airplane in flight, perhaps in France (the plane is probably an early French design) Thanks in advance!

889_001.jpg

競?場に??
露人飛行

The left column says "flight of a Russian person". The right one mentions about the place, but the most important second kanji is illegible.

競?場に??
露人飛行

The left column says "flight of a Russian person". The right one mentions about the place, but the most important second kanji is illegible.
thank you very much for your quick response!

It's 競馬場 (a horse race track)
The place is either Khodynka aerodrome in north-western Moscow or Odessa horse-course in Odessa. Originally Khodynka field was established in 1834 and served as a horse-racing track and cavalry maneuvering grounds. It was redesigned to serve as an airfield in 1910, first flight being made on October 3.
Flights on Odessa horse-course commenced in late 1910.

Judging from old photographs of both venues - those distinct trees and otherwise uncluttered horizon are characteristic of Odessa horse-course.

It's 競馬場 (a horse race track)
The place is either Khodynka aerodrome in north-western Moscow or Odessa horse-course in Odessa. Originally Khodynka field was established in 1834 and served as a horse-racing track and cavalry maneuvering grounds. It was redesigned to serve as an airfield in 1910, first flight being made on October 3.
Flights on Odessa horse-course commenced in late 1910.

Judging from old photographs of both venues - those distinct trees and otherwise uncluttered horizon are characteristic of Odessa horse-course.
wow, thank you, Lomaster! I was very wrong about location :)
(this is a photo I have for sale on Delcampe and I will inform the buyer when the auction ends; thanks!)

Back
Top Bottom