What's new

Help translating a few words within a sentence

政府は旅行客に人気の高い観光地に焦点を合わせ、より 小さな銀行にも同様の措置をとるよう強く求めています

The official translation provided for the above sentence is "Government officials are now leaning on smaller banks to do the same, focusing on popular tourist destinations."

I got confused with "toru you" ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
You may be confused by the omission of に after よう. Are you familiar with "verb + ように"?

Did you get this from that godawful program on NHK for learning English through news stories?

Ratings
動詞+よう(に) is a marker meaning to request something to be done. なにしろ婉曲的な言い方で命令形のほど強くありません。「に」抜きではより硬い言い方です。

Quick replies, thanks. I figured the issue was due to some sort of ellipse. As for grammar, right now I'm using Japanese for Everyone (by Gakken), An Introduction to Beginner and Intermediate Japanese, A Handbook of Japanese Grammar (which is available for free on archive.org and which is quite good).

Yes, this was taken from the NHK site. I'm a little surprised someone is coming out so strongly against it. What is with the rancor? Could it be that the articles too dumb down compared to natural, everyday Japanese? I also use the Hiragana Times for reading practice, and the level seems the same. I've struggled hard to find good, written, reading material- in this case essays and articles (not manga, tv shows, books, or short stories) - which are also translated into english. This is all I could turn up. Does anyone have any better recommendations?

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
I asked about a specific television program on which this article was also used. It does a wretched job of using the news to teach English. This particular episode also (in Japanese) operates on the presumption that "foreigner = tourist", which pissed me off.

I know nothing of whatever site NHK may also have used it on.