What's new

Help translate to English please?

JorCaste

Registered
14 Mar 2017
ここだけの話だけど、この間私の高校に来た海外で日本語の先生やってる方(かた)よりジョルダンの方(ほう)が日本語上手だと思う笑笑
日本語の先生にはならないの?

Is your name Jordan and was this sent directly to you? If so, let's see your own best effort at translating this first. (The content gives reason to believe you should be able to do something with it).

Is your name Jordan and was this sent directly to you? If so, let's see your own best effort at translating this first. (The content gives reason to believe you should be able to do something with it).
Don't make assumptions, please. I'm just a student learning, only been a few months. This friend believes in my ability a little too much, haha. I just wanted to make sure I interpreted it in the way it was meant to be. I interpreted it as : "Your japanese learning is going better than those who learn from japanese teachers at my high school." Something along those lines, right?

Don't make assumptions, please.

There were no assumptions in my reply to you.

Your guess is in the ballpark.

Have you learned about verbs or phrases modifying nouns yet?

私の高校に来た
and
海外で日本語の先生をやっている

both modify 方

Give it another go with that in mind.

If you're able to understand that much your friend doesn't believe in your ability too much. That's an impressive amount to understand in that period of time.

If you're able to understand that much your friend doesn't believe in your ability too much. That's an impressive amount to understand in that period of time.
Thank you! I still feel like I need to study harder, however. Haha

There were no assumptions in my reply to you.

Your guess is in the ballpark.

Have you learned about verbs or phrases modifying nouns yet?

私の高校に来た
and
海外で日本語の先生をやっている

both modify 方

Give it another go with that in mind.
Sorry about that.
I haven't learned about about verb modifiers yet.
I guess my main main problem is putting the pieces together. By pieces, I mean literally phrase by phrase. (and I don't even think I got some phrases right)
For example:
This time, came to my high school, abroad, direction from Japanese teachers (?), Jordan's direction is being skilled (?), etc etc.
Then on the last phrase, I don't understand "にはならないの?" By the context, I'm assuming "become" ?
Are they saying they want to become a Japanese teacher?

I would suggest giving the translation another try if you're not already. Mike Cash has given you some very helpful hints to do so.

Sorry about that.
I haven't learned about about verb modifiers yet.
I guess my main main problem is putting the pieces together. By pieces, I mean literally phrase by phrase. (and I don't even think I got some phrases right)
For example:
This time, came to my high school, abroad, direction from Japanese teachers (?), Jordan's direction is being skilled (?), etc etc.
Then on the last phrase, I don't understand "にはならないの?" By the context, I'm assuming "become" ?
Are they saying they want to become a Japanese teacher?
Try to translate the following simple sentences.

この間、日本語の先生が私の高校に来た。
彼は海外で日本語の先生をやっている(=している)。
彼よりジョルダンの方(ほう)が日本語が上手だ。
彼は日本語の先生にはならない。

Hnnh. I don't want to give away too much of exercises given to the OP, but I do kind of want to explain verb modifiers of nouns.

Any verb phrase can be an adjective in Japanese, similarly to how in 'the running man' in English has 'running' serving like an adjective, '走っている男' works the same in Japanese. But it goes further. In Japanese we can say 'あの会社で務める男', but we cannot say in English 'the working at that company man', instead we say something like 'the man who works at that company'.

In short, verb phrases modifying nouns is much more flexible in Japanese than it is in English. While English is a highly expressive language, this is one area where Japanese can be supremely elegant and expressive... but it does take a little getting used to!

方 has a different meaning depending on the pronunciation (かた or ほう); look them up.
You also need to know the pattern for comparison:「Xより、YのほうがZ」 means "more so than X, Y's side is Z", or in other words "Y is more Z than X".

Then on the last phrase, I don't understand "にはならないの?" By the context, I'm assuming "become" ? Are they saying they want to become a Japanese teacher?
Maybe you'll recognize it if it's rephrased like this: 日本語の先生になりませんか。

Back
Top Bottom