What's new

Help reading Poetry?

Onryo

後輩
2 Jun 2015
I found this notebook in a used bookstore. It is completely covered with poems. The cover page is titled "Poems of Shiki Masaoka" but I find it hard reading most of the poems due to the writing style? Is it actually his work or just some stuff that's made up?

Thanks

20170221_151500.jpg 20170221_151516.jpg

すゞしさや 瀧ほとばしる 家のあひ
柿食へば 鐘が鳴るなり 隆寺 (the kanji 法 is omitted)
春風に 尾をひろげたる 孔雀かな
御仏に 尻むけ居れば 月涼し
月涼し 蛙の聲の わきあがる
見下せば 月にすゞしや 四千軒

水無月の 虚空に涼し 時鳥
木をつみて 夜の明やすき 小窓かな
君を送りて 思ふことあり 蚊帳に泣く
冬こもる 人の多さよ 上野岸

Yes, those are all Masaoka Shiki's haiku.

Thank you for transcribing them Toritoribe!
It's much easier to read now

I have to ask now, but how common is the usage of this cursive(ish) style of writing today? It doesn't seem very common anymore since horizontal writing seems the most common besides formal occasions. Would this also be considered "good" handwriting? My apologies if this sounds like a stupid question

Based on what I see from day-to-day (and have to read), that isn't anywhere near the bottom of the list for legibility.

By way of illustration, here's the note I found waiting for me at work this morning. Very brief, but you can see both kanji and kana handwritten:

image.jpeg

Last edited:
It's not cursive script, but just handwritten regular script. I can't read texts written in cursive script, either. The following text is an example of 水無月 and 時鳥 in cursive script, respectively.
fel2c4.jpg

And this is what is written in your notebook. Can you see the difference?
2b3c4z.jpg

Thank you both Toritoribe and Mike for the examples. Just like personal script here, just helps to write faster by simplifying things

It just looks like with the cursive script they make a lot more shortcuts?

Back
Top Bottom