What's new

Help me identify what's in this packet.

Bodhi

後輩
8 Jul 2016
Can you please help me identify what chemical is in this packet so I don't misuse it. Thank you.
(I thought it was for the bath, but it smells toxic.)

japan packet back.jpg
japan packet.jpg

It's for your bathwater. If you're not in the habit of drinking your bathwater you should be alright.

Ok,
I've finally come to the conclusion that it is either
a) for bath water
...or
b) for laundry (and you are joshing with me)

Ok,
I've finally come to the conclusion that it is either
a) for bath water
...or
b) for laundry (and you are joshing with me)

It is very clearly labeled for mixing into your bathwater. 25g to 180 liters of water. What you're smelling is sulfur.

You can use the water for doing laundry (says so clearly on the package) but you should rinse with fresh water. Similarly, if you shampoo with the bathwater then be sure to rinse with fresh water.

You should note that the reason the instructions include mention of doing laundry with the water is because many Japanese households use the used bathwater for doing laundry rather than just letting it go down the drain. Many washing machines come with a hose and pump especially for drawing water from the bathtub. As you're in America you can safely ignore all remarks about doing laundry with the water. You certainly shouldn't mistake this stuff for a product intended for doing laundry. Sadly, illiteracy isn't always enough to prevent people offering uninformed and misleading information.

Last edited:
THanks for all the help. I've solved this mystery, even if my post got moved.

Let us know your impressions of the product after you've used it.

Will do.
Right now I'm erring on the cautious side. I'm not sure I want this on my skin because it smells like a chemical/cleaning product. And look at the color of this stuff........

Attachments

• orange powder.jpg
    orange powder.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 141
I'm willing to try many cultural adventurous things, including strange foods, but putting a strange chemical in my bathwater is not one of them.
I can mail the box to anyone in the US if anyone wants to try.......
Just message me or whatever the forum here does

Last edited:
This was a leftover item in the bathroom received as a gift from a Japanese person during a cultural exchange from our sister city. the picture clearly reminded me of an onsen, so I planned on using it for a bath, but I opened the packet and was greeted to a color and smell that made me wary.
Reminds me of the gift from Ukraine... could never figure out whether it was meant for my socks (potpourri) or cooking (herbs and spices) or brewing (tea). Then there were all the essential oils that I wish I had the English names to...
More than just language barriers now, also cultural barriers...
I may try this on my foot first.
Shows how much trust we have for foreign cultures. Can you imagine an alien race?

this is going nowhere
I trust the Japanese to be a clean people, but not exactly with chemicals in beauty products. I don't trust beauty products in general and I had some toothpastes, sunscreens, deodorants from Japan and they weren't what I was used to.
I don't really see the point in partaking in another culture's beauty products - it's not exactly a key part of their culture. I have done the communal bath house and enjoyed that.
I should have worded that better: I don't trust any people/culture/what-have-you with chemicals that are going on my skin or in my mouth.

I have done the communal bath house and enjoyed that.

I don't trust any people/culture/what-have-you with chemicals that are going on my skin or in my mouth.

You already have; you just don't realize it.

What do you think was in the water? Why do you think those places sell products like this for folks to take home with them afterwards?

Did you stop and ask for a chemical analysis of the minerals in the onsen you went to? Did you read the links I provided to the chemicals and see that they are naturally found in mineral springs?

You put unknown American chemicals on your skin and in your mouth all the time and have done so your whole life. If you're this uptight about some ****** bath salts just because they come from some people unlike you or a culture different than your own, then just throw the stuff in the trash already.

I would love to interview the other party in this "cultural exchange" and hear what they brought away from the experience.

This whole question seems to have provoked a large amount of misunderstanding. I suppose part of it is that (since I asked for help) I should have trusted the knowledge of the people on this board. I suppose you don't know me or how careful I am with various chemical products these days... For instance, mineral oil, commonly used as a laxative, is not something I would ingest. Talcum powder now has health concerns. And have you read about sodium laurel sulfate in shampoo?
If your still waiting for the exciting conclusion, I just may try this out today.
I guess it smells like that to me because "sodium sulfate" is a common filler in many household products!

Back
Top Bottom