What's new

Help in Correcting Translations from Japanese

Mayythew

Registered
15 Jun 2015
Hey guys, I've been studying Japanese out of this book Modern Japanese: An Advanced Reader: Gen Itasaka: 9780870112225: Amazon.com: Books and making translations of the text as I go through to make sure that I actually understand what I'm reading. Here's an excerpt from the text and the translation that I made of that excerpt.

イモ洗いとムギ拾い
ふつう、文化というと、ドイツ流の文化哲学の影響を受けて、人間精神の創造産物といった高い次元の現象を考えがちだ。しかし、生活という基礎的な次元から考えるほうがより機能的でもあるし、社会学的ではないだろうか。「文化とは、ある社会のなかでみずからの手によって創られ、個体に分有され、社会によって伝承される生活様式」という考え方だ。
If that doesn't display properly in the thread itself, here's a screenie. http://qs.lc/9jv60

The Washing of Sweet Potatoes and the Picking of Grain
Normally, when we speak of culture, under the influence of the German school of cultural philosophy, we tend to think of high level phenomena such as the creative product(s) of human nature. However, besides being more practical, would it not be more sociological to consider it from the basic/fundamental level of life? The line of thought goes, "Culture is a way of life that, in a given society, is created by the society itself, shared among individuals, and passed down by the society."

Is there anyone here who is willing and able to help me in the long term with translations similar to these? We would, naturally, have to be in direct contact over Skype, through Facebook, or by email. All questions and comments are welcome.

Do you want to learn to read Japanese? Or do you want to learn to be a translator?

You're essentially asking for a long-term private tutor to work with you in real-time. I think you may find you'll have better luck hiring someone to help you with that.

I suppose you're right. I don't have any money for that right now, but I'll keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom