What's new

Help identifying traditional clothing

Jeiku12

Registered
9 Oct 2017
Hello!
wave2.gif
I hope this is the right place to post this.

I recently found an old picture of my grandma wearing what looks like (to me) some traditional Japanese clothing. It's a very old picture, and sadly there's no one we can ask for more information (other than forums like this).

Can anyone here tell me anything about the outfit? Like, would it be worn for any specific event? It looks like formal wear, similar to a traditional bride's outfit, but I'm not very knowledgeable in that area.

Sobo.jpg

Just a quick background story, my mom is Japanese and was born there, but she was adopted by an American family at a young age, so she doesn't have many memories of her mother. She eventually reconnected with some of her relatives and learned that her mother married some time after my mom was adopted, so I thought maybe this outfit could have been worn at her wedding.

Any information anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.

If your mom has been in contact with her Japanese relatives, why can't they help? It certainly looks like a wedding dress and head gear.

Well, it's been difficult to correspond with them in a timely manner, and we JUST found this picture. They also hadn't been in touch with my grandma for years, so they don't know much about her life during that time.

About a bride costume.
in Japan, a hood worn by brides as part of a traditional wedding costume, called 'tsunokakushi(角隠し)'
角隠し - Wikipedia
Tsunokakushi is a wide strip of cloth worn by a bride at a Japanese-style wedding ceremony, covering her head including the coiffure called Bunkintakashimada.
Tsunokakushi was a widespread custom from the late Edo period to the beginning of Meiji period, and there are various theories upon its origin.
Although Tsunokakushi can be used for both Shiromuku (pure white kimono) and Irouchikake (gorgeously patterned kimono), Wataboshi, an oval-shaped hat several times larger than the head, is generally used for Shiromuku, and Tsunokakushi is used for Irouchikake these days.

The bride wears "Iro Uchikake"(色打掛)
打掛 - Wikipedia
I think the pattern of the kimono to be the feather of the "houou"(Fenghuang).
鳳凰 - Wikipedia
It is a bird causing good luck in Japan.

Thank you for your reply! It was very informative. :)

About a bride costume.
in Japan, a hood worn by brides as part of a traditional wedding costume, called 'tsunokakushi(角隠し)'
角隠し - Wikipedia
Tsunokakushi is a wide strip of cloth worn by a bride at a Japanese-style wedding ceremony, covering her head including the coiffure called Bunkintakashimada.
Tsunokakushi was a widespread custom from the late Edo period to the beginning of Meiji period, and there are various theories upon its origin.
Although Tsunokakushi can be used for both Shiromuku (pure white kimono) and Irouchikake (gorgeously patterned kimono), Wataboshi, an oval-shaped hat several times larger than the head, is generally used for Shiromuku, and Tsunokakushi is used for Irouchikake these days.

The bride wears "Iro Uchikake"(色打掛)
打掛 - Wikipedia
I think the pattern of the kimono to be the feather of the "houou"(Fenghuang).
鳳凰 - Wikipedia
It is a bird causing good luck in Japan.

Thank you for your reply! It was very informative. 🙂:
I am glad to be able to help it.

Additional information
"Mamorigatana"
What the bride is putting on her chest is a sword for protection.
This is called Mamorigatana (a sword for protection) due to the implication of cutting down evil spirits with a sword in the society of the samurai class and because cats avoid shining objects which were regarded as a magic creatures.

花嫁の和装講座 色打掛と引き振袖|花嫁の和装&ヘアメイク | 日本の結婚式ドットコム

Back
Top Bottom