What's new

Hello

Reide

Registered
13 May 2016
My name is Cristy and I know very little Japanese. For several years I was living in shared housing and I happened to have several Japanese people come through the house. I would really love to learn Japanese so I could communicate with my friends a little better.
My basic knowledge is that (last time I checked) I could count to 99. And I can tell people how much I love apples, snow, and other things. I can also call myself an idiot. I don't know the alphabet very well, if at all. But I can generally recognise the difference between hiragana, katakana and kanji. I can also read rain when it is written as ame.... I don't know how to type japanese.

I'm a personal trainer and have studied hairdressing. I also love food and studying. Nice to meet you.

Welcome, Cristy!

I recently started trying to learn Japanese.
I started with learning the Hiragana alphabet. I have been learning it for about a week now (I am a slow learner).

I started by using a flash card system which would quiz you on the letters.
(I hope I am allowed to link this)

Anki - friendly, intelligent flashcards

There are many different decks that you can download for them.

I started off with this deck:

It comes with the basic Hiragana without the combo's or muddy letters. (i believe they're called muddy letters)

and then advanced on to this one which shows the stroke pattern for some letters along with the combo & muddy letters.

Both helped me a lot so far.
I hope to see you around the forums!

Also, Another tip when learning the alphabets is to set your computer desktop screen to the corresponding alphabet chart so you can learn cross reference it to the flash card at the beginning.

-James.

Back
Top Bottom