What's new
...Wow. You've been around this several times, haven't you? You've seen so many people whom "aspire" to want to go to Japan, learn the language, culture, etc., but these very same people phase it out or give up...

I will admit, it won't be easy to do. Actually learning about the language, culture and history... I mean, sure, a person can SAY they want and plan to go, but... I mean, it takes a lot of research, patience and effort to pull this off. I don't plan, nor want to be one of those people who just say they're going to do something, but not put in the time and effort. That's just... No. This is something I WANT to do.

I'm still reading this thread and it seems like this person hasn't... Quite done their research, but just asked people they assume knew off the bat, it seems? I can see the tough love that would normally deter people...

I can understand while Japanese people would be very hesitant to speak to a foreigner psychologist/teacher/counselor/therapist about their personal problems (because what would a gaijin know about the problems of a native Japanese?), I would still like to at least hear them out. Foreigner or not, everybody has problems... And I would love nothing more than to help to the best of my abilities.

Now as far as continuing my studies, would it be recommended to transfer to a college in Japan?

Wow. You've been around this several times, haven't you? You've seen so many people whom "aspire" to want to go to Japan, learn the language, culture, etc., but these very same people phase it out or give up...

Dramamine no longer helps.

I've been watching the parade since Usenet days and I wish I could tell you there has been at least one person who actually followed through, but I am not aware of a single one.

It's no negative reflection on the intelligence, determination, or character of the people. We're talking about (typically) young people who are even in the best case several years away from even getting to the point of qualifying for a visa. It is to be expected that goals change and that other circumstances come into play. "Life is what happens while you were busy making other plans", as the saying goes.

Still, hope springs eternal and simple human decency requires that each person be given a frank and serious response to their inquiry. Every frog has to be kissed, but I think the princess can be excused if she is sometimes perfunctory about it and not wearing a smile.

Now as far as continuing my studies, would it be recommended to transfer to a college in Japan?

Lots of factors there.

Can you afford it?

Is tuition available in English for the course of study you need?

Can you get your Japanese up to N1 and handle classes in Japanese instead?

Will it help or hinder subsequent professional licensure/certifications and/or employment prospects outside Japan should it ever come to your leaving?

(Regarding the last, you may have noticed from the linked thread that the only way to even qualify to take the certification exam to become an accredited clinical psychologist in Japan is to graduate from one of a small number of designated graduate schools)

Last edited:
Dramamine no longer helps.

I've been watching the parade since Usenet days and I wish I could tell you there has been at least one person who actually followed through, but I am not aware of a single one.

It's no negative reflection on the intelligence, determination, or character of the people. We're talking about (typically) young people who are even in the best case several years away from even getting to the point of qualifying for a visa. It is to be expected that goals change and that other circumstances come into play. "Life is what happens while you were busy making other plans", as the saying goes.

Still, hope springs eternal and simple human decency requires that each person be given a frank and serious response to their inquiry. Every frog has to be kissed, but I think the princess can be excused if she is sometimes perfunctory about it and not wearing a smile.

Lots of factors there.

Can you afford it?

Is tuition available in English for the course of study you need?

Can you get your Japanese up to N1 and handle classes in Japanese instead?

Will it help or hinder subsequent professional licensure/certifications and/or employment prospects outside Japan should it ever come to your leaving?

(Regarding the last, you may have noticed from the linked thread that the only way to even quality to take the certification exam to become an accredited clinical psychologist in Japan is to graduate from one of a small number of designated graduate schools)

To be honest, I do not know, but I will look into it when I get the chance.

Thank you, Mike Cash. You've been really informative and I hope you don't mind me bugging you about questions here and there, but that is one of the reasons why I came here.

I know this: I have a LOT of studying and research to do... But I'll take things one step at a time.

Oh! Another college related question: do you think a college with a program for it's students to be able to study abroad would be beneficial?

Oh! Another college related question: do you think a college with a program for it's students to be able to study abroad would be beneficial?

If it fits your career goals and budget, I would think it worth serious consideration.

I would want to make sure the destination program actually provided quality education and advanced me toward my goals and wasn't just a trip for the sake of taking a trip. If it isn't advancing you academically then you could probably have a better vacation for longer and cheaper if you weren't having to throw tuition money and fees to the overseas partner school.

If it fits your career goals and budget, I would think it worth serious consideration.

I would want to make sure the destination program actually provided quality education and advanced me toward my goals and wasn't just a trip for the sake of taking a trip. If it isn't advancing you academically then you could probably have a better vacation for longer and cheaper if you weren't having to throw tuition money and fees to the overseas partner school.
Thank you, Mike Cash.

I don't plan to get a degree in Sociology, no. ^^U I just like the study of it. I would be changing to Psychology. I would have 13 more classes to take under Psychology before I transfer to a four-year college. The only downside to the current college I'm in is that they don't have any Japanese classes where I could learn the language, culture and history...
I'll be retaking my Psychology class and I feel like I'll do better this time--my professor for the Intro to Psychology was doing lectures that leaned more towards the bio-related part of Psychology. The part with the wiring of the brain, the famous conditioning experiments, etc... While it was interesting, she basically just threw everything out as once and given tests with no time to properly study... I digress... If I could land a job in a Psychology field, that would be amazing! Will I need N2 or N1 to qualify for such a place?
I don't think you could land a job, per se, but you could possibly create a practice. I don't know the demand, that would be learned as part of your business plan's market analysis. I doubt it would have anything to do with passing Japanese tests since you wouldn't be working with Japanese people except under extraordinary circumstances (read: practically never). It also wouldn't be based on a 4-year degree, you would need the same qualifications as you would in the USA if you wanted to do clinical work (PsyD or PhD, I think) because your clients would want to know that they're seeing someone qualified. You would need to do the research to see what you can and cannot do in regards to the law, Mike's link has good info on that but if it were me I'd pay someone whose job is to advise on these things before I put the kind of required time and money into a plan like this.

For me, in a somewhat related health field, I cannot take NHI since I do not have Japanese licensure. I work almost solely with expats, and I work solely in English because it would be unethical to work in Japanese without significantly better Japanese than I have (frankly, significantly better than N1). I had legal counsel vet my plan to ensure that everything I am doing is within the law. It cost a fortune monetarily and in time and effort.

Frankly, this is not an easy way to get to Japan.

A 4-year degree in psych is an incredibly poor decision in the USA, and probably would only qualify you to get a job teaching English here.

I don't think you could land a job, per se, but you could possibly create a practice. I don't know the demand, that would be learned as part of your business plan's market analysis. I doubt it would have anything to do with passing Japanese tests since you wouldn't be working with Japanese people except under extraordinary circumstances (read: practically never). It also wouldn't be based on a 4-year degree, you would need the same qualifications as you would in the USA if you wanted to do clinical work (PsyD or PhD, I think) because your clients would want to know that they're seeing someone qualified. You would need to do the research to see what you can and cannot do in regards to the law, Mike's link has good info on that but if it were me I'd pay someone whose job is to advise on these things before I put the kind of required time and money into a plan like this.

For me, in a somewhat related health field, I cannot take NHI since I do not have Japanese licensure. I work almost solely with expats, and I work solely in English because it would be unethical to work in Japanese without significantly better Japanese than I have (frankly, significantly better than N1). I had legal counsel vet my plan to ensure that everything I am doing is within the law. It cost a fortune monetarily and in time and effort.

Frankly, this is not an easy way to get to Japan.

A 4-year degree in psych is an incredibly poor decision in the USA, and probably would only qualify you to get a job teaching English here.

Alright, then... All this info has been very informative--I mean, really informative and thankful for everyone whom has taken the time to help me--BUT I do feel as if I should take the time to just... Take things one step at a time.

The first step is learning Japanese to the point where I can speak it comfortably, read and write it. There's that step.
The second thing I should see about is college that also teach about the language, culture and the history. I should also see about some exchange or studying broad programs that'll benefit me in the long run.
Now, I know that the whole ALT/Eikaiwa thing is a stereotypical thing that is said for people. However, the reason why I had took an interest in this because I thought this would initially be a good way to take my first steps into knowing more about Japan's school system, how teachers teach their students and basically get a taste of living in Japan for a year or 2. BUT I also heard that ALT/Eikaiwa jobs do not pay that well, which is one of my worries.
I would basically like to work at a job where it would be a good first start for me and I am willing to put in the time and effort I need in order to do so.

The first step is learning Japanese to the point where I can speak it comfortably, read and write it.

That alone is going to require more years than you realize so that is separate from any order of doing things and will have to run concurrent with everything else.

The most important thing and the point I want to make most strongly is that you should use your upcoming education to prepare yourself for a career that you can do right there where you are. Without intending any aspersions on your character or intellect, the chances that you will abandon learning Japanese without having made significant progress are high and the chances that your current interest in Japan will survive to the end of your schooling and that you will come here even briefly are low. You have no way of knowing how long your current interest is going to last; the one thing you know is going to last the rest of your life is you. Make sure you set yourself up to take care of yourself wherever you end up.

That alone is going to require more years than you realize so that is separate from any order of doing things and will have to run concurrent with everything else.

The most important thing and the point I want to make most strongly is that you should use your upcoming education to prepare yourself for a career that you can do right there where you are. Without intending any aspersions on your character or intellect, the chances that you will abandon learning Japanese without having made significant progress are high and the chances that your current interest in Japan will survive to the end of your schooling and that you will come here even briefly are low. You have no way of knowing how long your current interest is going to last; the one thing you know is going to last the rest of your life is you. Make sure you set yourself up to take care of yourself wherever you end up.
I understand what you're saying, Mike Cash, and I thank you for all the information you have given me. I hope you understand that I have no intentions on giving up on wanting to go. I have wanted to do this for years and will accomplish this goal by any means. I will continue to study hard for my Bachelor's/Master's degree and work hard as well.

I will not be dissuaded.

Just make sure your degree will feed you regardless of where you find yourself. Don't be one of those people with a worthless degree and a mountain of student debt.

unless you prepare beforehand on how you're going to transition out of it (or better yet, avoid it to begin with), you will arrive at the end of it and find you have painted yourself into a corner where your options are to stay in that work or get on an airplane and go home.
Sage advice. Don't paint yourself into that corner, because its a corner you can't easily get out of, even by getting on a plane and going back home. This is because while you were fulfilling your life ambition by being in Japan, your peers in your home country were working on their careers. They will now have a significant advantage over you in the job market, and let me tell you, working at an eikaiwa in Japan doesn't look impressive on a resume. This is not to say it can't be a worthwhile experience, its just not something that a US or Japanese employer will value.
"Going to Japan" is a nice personal ambition, but don't confuse this with a career goal. Use your next few years to research what kinds of jobs are available for you in Japan in your field. International schools have some need for counselors, and they have connections to, for example, English-speaking child psychologists in Japan. You might look for contacts or connections to those communities to get some practical advice.
"I don't care what I do, as long as I get to live my dream of being in Japan" isn't a good life plan. So bring a skill, or find out how you can tailor that skill for Japan. If you are seriously interested in psychology, continue pursuing that. If you are interested in business or finance or law, etc... then pursue those. The thing is, a Japanese company will be interested in hiring you because you will (presumably) make their organization stronger. You need to be able demonstrate your professional strengths.

Last edited:
Thank you all for helping me out with this. I'm glad I made this choice to sign up on here because I get to interact and talk to people whom have the experience and knowledge that I'm looking for. I will definitely look into this more and continue my studies in a field that will benefit me in the long run.

Just make sure your degree will feed you regardless of where you find yourself. Don't be one of those people with a worthless degree and a mountain of student debt.
Thankfully I only resemble half of that remark...

But again, he's right, especially about the waning interest in Japanese studies. I, for one, haven't been 100% "Oh my goodness, I must learn Japanese, I must go to Japan" since I was your age. The feeling will wax and wane.

If you want to go, figure out what you want to do there, and make your plans. But, also have an exit strategy, as it's been said. And definitely continue to learn Japanese, because even if you don't go to Japan or you only go on vacation, you can still list Japanese as a job skill.

Back
Top Bottom