What's new

greatest strength for the Japanese

bstevy

後輩
26 Jun 2014
Hello everyone,

I am preparing for job intervews in Japan, and I would like to have some of your comment on this famous question :
"What is your greatest strength ?"

I know this is a personnal question, and mainly depend on personnality and personnal experience, but I would like to know if there are some points that may be considered as strength in some countries (I mean western countries - US or Europe mainly) and weakness or bad thing in Japan.
What do you think ?

Thks

Steven

I think it really does not matter what you say as your strength, as long as you have a concrete example to your claim. For example, if you say, "I consider myself a good leader". Then the interviewer might ask how or why; you will need some kind of a story of how you lead a team of how many people in your past job and had some kind of an obstacle and you overcame it by leading the team for example.
Prepare a story for something you overcame in the past and make the interviewer ask you about with your answer to his/her questions.

I think in the west (and I'm generalising, it depends on your interviewer) your achievements are important but in Japan it might be better to talk less about I did this and that and I'm really good at this and that, but to say I had to really work hard on this (大変でした/苦労しました) and thanks to this hard work, I overcame a certain obstacle and am stronger because of it/I learned from the experience.

good luck

I think it really does not matter what you say as your strength, as long as you have a concrete example to your claim. For example, if you say, "I consider myself a good leader". Then the interviewer might ask how or why; you will need some kind of a story of how you lead a team of how many people in your past job and had some kind of an obstacle and you overcame it by leading the team for example.
Prepare a story for something you overcame in the past and make the interviewer ask you about with your answer to his/her questions.

I think in the west (and I'm generalising, it depends on your interviewer) your achievements are important but in Japan it might be better to talk less about I did this and that and I'm really good at this and that, but to say I had to really work hard on this (大変でした/苦労しました) and thanks to this hard work, I overcame a certain obstacle and am stronger because of it/I learned from the experience.

good luck

I agree. It's better to not show off. But they love people who tried hard and overcame difficulties by sheer hard work. Be humble but don't deprecate/depreciate yourself.

Back
Top Bottom