What's new

Goddess - 女神 & 女神様

scp

後輩
11 Mar 2017
In English, when someone says for a woman that she's a goddess, that usually means "A beautiful, brilliant, attractive woman."
I'm interested whether the same works for Japanese language, and the difference if someone says 女神 for a woman, and when someone says 女神様.

My comprehension:
If someone says for a woman - 女神, it can mean that she's beautiful and attractive, just like in English language.
But if someone says for a woman - 女神様, it has more of a respective meaning towards the woman, like she's so kind that she's like a female deity.

There is no difference in meaning between 女神 and 女神様 as a figurative use, except the level of politeness.

I know 様 is a suffix to make the word more polite. But what I wanna know is whether 女神 can be used to describe a beautiful woman who is attractive, just like how in English language you can use the word Goddess to describe a beautiful woman.

And also, if someone says for a woman that she's a Goddess, not because of attraction, but out of admiration because she's incredibly humble and kind person, than it would make more sense to use 女神様, because it's more polite, right?

No, there is no difference in usage, as I wrote. Both 女神 and 女神様 can be used for all those cases.

In English, when someone says for a woman that she's a goddess, that usually means "A beautiful, brilliant, attractive woman."

I would contest that...

I've seen the term "Goddess" used to refer to some women in certain works of fiction. You probably don't want to know where, though. Probably.

I have never in my life heard anyone in the real world describe a woman as a "goddess", and if they did, it would not look to me like a compliment on her looks; rather, it would look to me like a reflection of a very special status.

I would contest that...

I've seen the term "Goddess" used to refer to some women in certain works of fiction. You probably don't want to know where, though. Probably.

I have never in my life heard anyone in the real world describe a woman as a "goddess", and if they did, it would not look to me like a compliment on her looks; rather, it would look to me like a reflection of a very special status.

I would contest that.

I've heard it plenty of times in real life, and in precisely the way he posits.

The fact that you haven't encountered a thing in your brief life is no indication it doesn't exist.

Back
Top Bottom